 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2596
Re: Setting LNP host address
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 15:23:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Ted Hess writes:
I've experimented with a couple of choices which were relatively easy to
implement. Let me know if we should keep any these:

1. You can choose to set the host address at build time with a command-line
option to make.
<snip>

2. I have added a new protocol message to program.c and added a new command
to dll that will dynamically change the RCX host address when invoked.
<snip>

Do you all think it is still important to be able to set the LNP host
address during system image download (firmdl3)? These features seem to fit
the need and modifying firmdl3 to modify the image is a bit messy.

   Joe Woolley prototyped the firmdl3 mods, I think, and has now a user
   program which can change the Id.  This now makes 4 approaches we
   have to consider ;-)

   My thinking on firmdl3 use was that it is a direct replacement for
   compile time set that we have today.  It seems to me that we want a
   fixed id in each bot so that only one is listening to
   downloads/messages, so they can talk "amongst themselves", etc.
   (yeah, I know, this is probably obvious :)  However, I came to this
   thinking rather simply.  In looking for other patterns it seems to me
   that host id is one of those things that would normally be a set of
   dip-switches on the back panel of equipment, for example.

   When I first heard that we ask users to recompile legOS for each
   id, that struck me as obviously wrong.  It also struct me that setting
   it at kernel download time was the next best approach. It also occurred
   to me that we might have a concern for being able to load the exact same
   kernel in different bots and rebuilding the kernel made it easier to
   be not the case.

   One final set of thoughts. Helping us build an "intuition" of how to use
   the tools.  I come to firmdl3 being the logical place for the ID set for a
   couple of reasons: (1) one must set the id each time a kernel is downloaded,
   (2) I don't think of a program that needs to specify the target id for a
   download as the logical place to set the host id of the bot to which i
   then must download as the intended target.  That is to say, firmdl3
   intuitively made more sense...  I also acknowledge the need to change
   the id once it has been set.  I don't think this eliminates firmdl3 as
   the tool from which to do this, however.

   I know this is kind of a stream of conciousness writeup (barely a
   natural flow... ;-) but does this make sense?  Is there anything here
   to guide us?  I simply offer it as more to think about and discuss
   before we make the choice.

Regards,
Stephen