 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2591
2590  |  2592
Subject:
lets drop exec
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 14:41:59 GMT

I'd like to make a suggestion and see what everyone thinks.  I'd like us to
drop our current thread interface (exec/kill) in favor of a pthead interface.

Since theading entered legOS I've wondered why the exec style was adopted, the
functionality of legOS threads are much more like normall OS threads then Unix
processes.  Mainly the fact that the different threads are all in the same
process and share access to memory.

Beyond this nit-picking there are features of a threads library which would be
nice to have.  cancelation, joining are two that I'd like to see added.

Of course we could easily have an exec dummy wrapper around the new calls so
that old programs would work, but a by hand mod of programs would be pretty
easy as well.

This is also a rather easy task since it wouldn't invlove rewriting the core of
the legOS multithreading just it's interface.  Also I'm pretty sure you don't
need to implement the entire API to be compliant (not that that is a
requirement).  We could start with the basics and have a template to follow as
we need more features.  Also this implementation should not add much to the
size of the legOS binary, so bloat shouldn't be a big issue.

anyway just wanted to see if people are interested.  If so I'll produce a patch
adding limited pthread support.

here is a quick reference to the pthread api for those who are new to it
http://www.as400.ibm.com/developer/threads/q_refer.html

mark