 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2239
RE: newbie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:28:45 GMT

If you decide to use LegOS you won't be needing nor will you have the chance
to use NQC because a RCX with LegOS loaded won't understand nor respond to
any standard firmware commands.

Check (if you didn't already) the side links at:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/legos/

Especially:
http://legos.sourceforge.net/HOWTO/
http://www.noga.de/legOS/

mc.

From: news-gateway@lugnet.com On Behalf Of Paula Berger

so if i decide to use LegOS I don't need NQC, right? as I understood,
de LegOS itself it's complete to be used alone....

LegOS is an operating system ( a firmware replacement in itself)
It's like a mini UNIX system, that will run true C compiled • programs on RCX.

NQC on the other hand, all it does is translate a NQC program into • LEGO
pCode that will be *interpreted* by RCX's standard firmware (you • could call
it "compile" but not in the same way as traditional compilation is
understood)

So, NQC deals with generating pseudo-compiled programs to be run
(interpreted) on LEGO standard firmware using the same pCodes all • LEGO
software uses to command the RCX.

LegOS is an OS that runs true compiled into machine-code and it's
incompatible (doesn't understand nor tries to interpret) with • standard LEGO
firmware.

I don't know if there would be enough RAM to make a "standard pCode"
interpreter emulator, running under LegOS, but would be a nice idea • for
people that would like to use LegOS power but now and then need to • run some
standard firmware programs ;)

mc.

PS: I'm not a LegOS user.