 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2086
RE: power_off()
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 15:44:10 GMT

Hi
I have been trying to get the power_off() function to work, but
every time I
call it it either hangs the RCX just before turning off, or turns the RCX
off and I can not turn it back on. In both cases I have to remove the
batteries and wait for the memory to die.
The code I have is something like:

shutdown()
{
cputs("end");
msleep(1000);
lcd_clear;
power_off();
}

Mike,

I ran into a similar problem  when debugging pbForth years ago. Make
sure that the stack pointer is saved somewhere in the on-chip memory
of the RCX BEFORE putting the RCX to sleep.

The sleep function puts the external RAM into a low-power state that
is not restored until a little after the RCX wakes up. If the stack
pointer is aimed at the external RAM, the memory fetches will be garbage...

Hope this helps

Cheers, Ralph

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com