 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1669
1668  |  1670
Subject:
LNP checksum optimizations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:03:05 GMT

In a previous post I said that some optimizations can be made in LNP.  Now
I have the patch ready and uploaded it on sourceforge.  Sadly I made it
against a custom version of the kernel, so it may need a manual
intervention to apply (fuzzyness shouldn't help much).

In brief, what I changed.

1. The checksum for outgoing packets is computed while copying data in the
   buffer, in one pass.

2. The checksum is computed as 8-bit integer (instead of 16 bits; upper 8
   bits were discarded in the original code).

3. The checksum for incoming packets is computed as new bytes are
   available, and not after receiving all data.  So the computing time is
   split between all interrupt calls.

Comments, bug reportings, opinions are welcome!

bye
Bernardo