 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1649
Re: Motor Speed value interpretation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:46:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Ross Hennessy writes:
Hi all,

Greetings! Another Ross!! That's three hangin' around here now!! Well, OK ones
a Rossz, but it's close enough!

sorry if this question has been asked before but i was just wondering what
the speed values for the motors represent? i have a robot with two motor • driven
wheels which i would like to be able to make drive in an arc. To do this i • have
to set the motors at different speeds so that the angular velocities of the • two
wheel shafts are at the right ratio for the arc. My problem is that the
relationship between the speed value eg 0 - 255, isn't in linear proportion to
the angular velocity of the motors drive shaft (which seems resonable since • you
can only really specify a force for the motor since the angular velocity will
rely upon the weight of the robot). Does anyone know a formula for this
relationship so that i can work out the exact figures for the speeds of the
motors rather than put rotation sensors on the wheel shafts, since this is
providing to be quite difficult (not the actual watching of the rotation
sensors, but rather adjusting the speeds acording to what values you are
getting back, not difficult to do slowly, but difficult to get the robot to • hit
the right arc quickly).

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, you could work it out really carefully, but then you've gotta take into
account the varying characteristics of the motors, ie 200 on one may be the
same speed as 190 on the other. And this may change according to ambient
temperature, battery level, the terrain, etc.

Your two best options are:

1. Use rotation sensors. A lot of programming required, and they're not
cheap...at least not here in Australia. YMMV.
2. Use an adder-subtractor, with one motor controlling speed, the other
controlling direction. There's a few people have done these - I have
info about this on my Lugnet page, www.lugnet.com/~469/projects/addsub

Hope this helps

ROSCO