 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1445
  LNP Packet Handlers on RCX

I remember reading somewhere a while back, when I first started dabbling with LNP, that LNP handlers on the RCX side were called from interrupts and therefore doing things like memory allocation, msleep, heavy processing, etc. were not good ideas. (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Packet Handlers on RCX

Michael- I seem to recall something about LNP not being completely thread safe. However, there is no documentation on that at all. Stig Neilsson (if he is around) may be a good person to ask, since he has studied the threading model in detail, and (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Packet Handlers on RCX

(...) Markus can just about definitely handle any questions. Unfortunately, he no longer responds to much of anything. :| Anyway, thanks for the detailed response, Marek... Luis ---...--- "It's clear to us that Microsoft isn't the competition (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Packet Handlers on RCX

(...) In legOS v0.2.3 and probably in v0.2.4 they are still called from the interrupt handler (rx_handler). (...) The interrupt handling should be fast, hence any heavy proccessing in lnp_handler is discouraged. Msleep, malloc and similiar functions (...) (24 years ago, 19-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Packet Handlers on RCX

(...) started dabbling (...) interrupts (...) from the (...) Yes. lnp_integrity_handler() and lnp_address_handler()s are still called from IR byte receiving interrupt. No problem in the actual implementation (taking care of it) but it should be a (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Packet Handlers on RCX

Hi, I think some things need clearification: 1. lnp_address_handler() is called from interrupt. It may not sleep. There is sample code how to do the packet handling, sleeping and malloc()'ing in legOS/kernel/program.c 2. Interrupts or functions (...) (24 years ago, 20-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)