 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 139
138  |  140
Subject:
Rotation sensor help (some progress)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 22:04:32 GMT

Again about my problems with legOS and the rotation sensor. First of all I
checked the four values returned by both my two rotation sensor. They are
different from the ones inside direct-sensor.c but anyway inside the specified
range

legOS:

RANGE_SIZE      (40U<<6)
STATE_0_VALUE (1023U<<6)
STATE_1_VALUE  (833U<<6)
STATE_2_VALUE  (405U<<6)
STATE_3_VALUE  (623U<<6)

my values:

STATE_0_VALUE (1023U<<6)
STATE_1_VALUE  (851U<<6)
STATE_2_VALUE  (437U<<6)
STATE_3_VALUE  (649U<<6)

So the problem is not in those values. I wrote a simple "finite state machine"
to use the rot sensor like any other active sensor and bypass
ds_rotation_handler. I used the originals legOS state values. It works very
well. Here is my code (well, I know I'm not a C programmer...):

// the rotation driver
//
int rotation_driver(void) {
  int state,newstate,count;
  unsigned curvalue;

  ds_active(&SENSOR_3);

  count=0;
  curvalue=SENSOR_3;
  if (curvalue>65470-2560)
    state=0;
  else if (curvalue>53312-2560 && curvalue<53312+2560)
    state=1;
  else if (curvalue>25920-2560 && curvalue<25920+2560)
    state=2;
  else
    state=3;

  while(1) {
    curvalue=SENSOR_3;
    if (curvalue>65470-2560)
      newstate=0;
    else if (curvalue>53312-2560 && curvalue<53312+2560)
      newstate=1;
    else if (curvalue>25920-2560 && curvalue<25920+2560)
      newstate=2;
    else
      newstate=3;
    switch (state) {
      case 0:
        if (newstate==1) count++;
        if (newstate==3) count--;
        break;
      case 1:
        if (newstate==2) count++;
        if (newstate==0) count--;
        break;
      case 2:
        if (newstate==3) count++;
        if (newstate==1) count--;
        break;
      case 3:
        if (newstate==0) count++;
        if (newstate==2) count--;
        break;
    }
    state=newstate;

    lcd_int(count);
    lcd_refresh();
  }
}

So I deduced:
- my sensors are OK;
- the values defined by legOS for the rot sensor states are correct;
- the principle used by ds_rotation_handler works;
I double checked all the code about rotation sensor inside legOS but couldn't
find any bug (I must stress again that I'm back to C after many years and don't
feel perfectly at ease yet).

Am I the only one with this problem? Or the only one with both rotation
sensors and legOS? :)

Thanks for any help

Mario