 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1244
1243  |  1245
Subject:
semi, sort of, not quite but almost 0.2.4
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:57:07 GMT

Hey, everybody-
It's been a while (nearly seven months, actually) since there was
a legOS release. Markus did quite a lot of work on it before he dumped it
into CVS, and Paolo Massetti and I have put in a little bit of work on it
over the past couple of weeks. In addition, the past couple of days have
brought several new patches: Eddie Dost rewrote the lcd drivers to be much
more efficient, and that patch affected around a dozen files, which is the
single biggest commit in a while.
Anyway, point of this rambling: there is now a legOS 0.2.4
PRE-RELEASE at

http://legOS.sourceforge.net/files/common/legOS-0.2.4.tar.gz

A file has been there for a file, but this is a new one (about 20 minutes
old as I write this) and contains what I think (?) are the last of the
major changes for 0.2.4. I'd really, really like it if folks could
download it, build it, and make sure it works. Let the list know what you
think and I'll try to fix it if something is hideously wrong (which was
the case last time I tried this.)

Some important notes:
*Unfortunately, the DJGPP port is currently badly busted, because someone
needs to build a new set of tools for the platform. Once those tools are
built, the platform should run fine- even better than before, since it
should now be able to build kernels.

Good news:
*random number generator built in.
*more stable (due to Eddie's patch of the bss problem).
*No more Perl, not unless you really, really want back-annotated
disassembly files :).
*Completely clean build under both Linux and Cygwin.
*Get rid of the SENSOR>0x... hack for touch sensors. Now use TOUCH_1,
TOUCH_2, etc., for consistency with LIGHT_X and ROTATION_X.
*gcc 2.95 support (I think- I haven't personally tested this yet)

That's basically it. Everybody who can, please grab it and download it- I
swear it won't break anything :) (And if it does, well, let's get it fixed
so that we can have an actual release for once this millenium ;)

Luis

P.S. I really, really hope to have a completely correct HOWTO ready for
the release too. You can see what is done so far at

http://legOS.sourceforge.net/HOWTO/

Please let me know any thoughts, suggestions, what have you, on that. It's
far from perfect (particularly the links) but it is getting there, I
think.

    "Summertime... and the living is easy...
    fish are jumping and the cotton is high...
    So hush, little baby, baby don't you cry."
-Ella