 Robotics / RCX / legOS / *2359 (-100)
  Re: legOS not working with external relay switches

quite possibly. I havn't hooked up a scope, but it seems to be as close to full power as possible....interesting "Max Bowsher" <maxb@ukf.net> wrote in message news:006401c1c9ec$bd...ibm.com... (...) power (...) otherwise (...) (23 years ago, 13-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: legOS not working with external relay switches

I think I remember hearing that legOS full power is actually about 99% power ??? Something to do with an optimization to the code, which would otherwise require special handling ??? This is a vague memory - can others confirm ??? Max. ----- Original (...) (23 years ago, 12-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Linux driver for USB Tower

A better link would be (URL) you have to find the link for the Project Home Page (under Public Areas). Ed P.S. I am not involved either! Rainer Balzerowski <balze2@gmx.net> wrote in message news:Gpn9Lo.6E@lugnet.com... (...) (23 years ago, 11-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: legOS not working with external relay switches

three 2200uf capacitors fixed the problem but does anyone know why the difference between legOS and the standard firmware?? "Kingsley Gifford" <kgifford@thezone.net> wrote in message news:3C8BDD44.809080...one.net... (...) (23 years ago, 11-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Fw: exponents, e^

legOS isnt hard to setup on windows, but i think lejos is an easier environment to setup/use, especially for users who have no cygwin/unix experience.... (...) (23 years ago, 11-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  legOS not working with external relay switches

I'm in the process of "reviving" past inventions with my new knowledge of legOS. One such invention (if you can call it that) used 3 12V relay switches to control external circuits. Full power on the outputs would trigger the relays. however, under (...) (23 years ago, 10-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX as a PGP engine

(...) They don't, but they need bignums (really big integers). (...) the API is in java.math.BigInteger . (...) You could just run PPP over it I suppose, with some encryption (IPSec?) on top of it. Would be dead slow, though. The charm of the RCX (...) (23 years ago, 10-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Fw: exponents, e^

By all means use lejOS, but don't think that legOS is hard to get working on Windows. Max. ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Dubravetz" <david_dubravetz@hotmail.com> To: <lugnet.robotics.rcx...ugnet.com> Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 4:57 (...) (23 years ago, 9-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX as a PGP engine

(...) If you need floating point numbers the leJOS JVM for the RCX uses floating point: (URL) seems like a very intersting idea. I actually wanted to skip the RCX altogether and somehow link up a networking protocol using just the IR Towers. One (...) (23 years ago, 9-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX as a PGP engine

(...) It really isn't that limited when you consider other platforms that run full PK systems, such as the Dallas Semiconductor iButton. It has a much more limited processors, more limited RAM, and you write your code in Java so it has to be (...) (23 years ago, 9-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX as a PGP engine

(...) Excellent point, Benton Jackson e-mailed me with the following: (...) Good idea using a external sensor to seed some sort of random number generator function. However, the codebase for PGP is pretty darned large and after looking at the source (...) (23 years ago, 9-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX as a PGP engine

(...) The key word is a "good" generator. Random() is way too predictable to use in a crypto application. (23 years ago, 9-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: exponents, e^

(...) Remote control and lejos: You can download a Java object to accept commands from the remote. Check out (URL) lejos. Roger (23 years ago, 9-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Makefile command to make *.map files

I had a similar problem with the "sort" program apparently not functioning and then someone kindly looked at my error output and pointed out that I should make sure that the CYGWIN bin path was added to the FRONT of my path as declared in my (...) (23 years ago, 9-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX as a PGP engine

(...) Even if it needed FP, legOS supports that. (...) Well, maybe. Maybe not. legOS has a random() function, right? Once the TCP/IP patch is stable, why not use an RCX as an echo server with built in en/decryption? You could just telnet to it, type (...) (23 years ago, 9-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Attention cygwin and windows users

Quoting Ed Manlove (emanlove@ieee.org): (...) If we actually get to the point of doing another release (and thus finding a maintainer for the project, etc) maybe this is something we should consider integrating? Anyone else building on Cygwin and (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Attention cygwin and windows users

For those using the cygwin tools under a windows OS as described in the article "LegOS 0.2.4 - Instructions for installing on NT/Win9x with Cygwin" you could be experiencing a conflict with dos and cygwin tools. In particular is you are following (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Compile error when make demos

Zhengrong, I know this is an old post but what was your setup for this build (OS,cygwin?, etc)? Ed (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Makefile command to make *.map files

For clarity I am running under Win98 using CYGWIN tools as outlined by the instructions "LegOS0.2.4 - Instructions for installing on NT/Win9x with Cygwin". I was looking for help on the sort command using $sort --help but I was getting a similar (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Makefile command to make *.map files

Quoting Ed Manlove (emanlove@ieee.org): (...) I can't speak for absolute certain about this, not being familiar with that part of the code, but sort -u is used to unique a list of strings. That is, if you pipe a file: spam spam spam eggs through (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Makefile command to make *.map files

What is the sort command doing in the command to create *.map files within the Makefile.kernal? # how to make map files %.map: %.coff $(NM) $*.coff | sort -u > $*.map Doing my build I get the following error and the resulting map file has size zero. (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: binutils?

(...) It has several useful things in it, but the one most important for legOS is probably the linker, ld. ROSCO (23 years ago, 7-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  binutils?

when i first got legOS up and running i used rcx-egcs-1.1.2-1.i386 rcx-egcs-c++-1.1.2-1.i386 rcx-binutils-2.9.5.0.22-1.i386 i'm assuming the first two are the c and c++ compilers, however what is the function of the binutils? thanks (23 years ago, 7-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  backing up programs

Hi, I have a couple of RCX's and was wondering if anyone has done any work on a way to transfer a program from one rcx to another in the case of a battery failure, etc. instead of replacing the rcx in the robot with the other one. thanks (23 years ago, 7-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: exponents, e^

i tried the lejos environment and found the exponent and trig functions worked very well. and they work with doubles. so if anyone is having trouble with using trig, log, exp functions in legOS, you might want to try lejos. plus it was easier to (...) (23 years ago, 7-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: exponents, e^

(...) Only one I can think of off-hand is support for the remote control, I've been thinking about looking at that if I can get some time (though it's still only a patch in legOS, have to do something about that, too). There may be others I don't (...) (23 years ago, 6-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: exponents, e^

you know i was looking at lejos, java for RCX, and it seems to have exponents, trig, etc. functions built in. any advantages legOS has over lejos i don't know about. if not, i think i may give it a whirl.... -dave (...) (23 years ago, 6-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: exponents, e^

Dave I am working on a number of maths functions that includes loge log10 expe and exp10 x^y as well as trig functions. As you note it requires the specification of the mantassa and exponent desciption of the float variable for the RCX. Usually this (...) (23 years ago, 6-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  exponents, e^

hello, i've searched through the discussions but i haven't been able to find any info on using floats with exponents in legOS, specifically the inverse of natural log: e^. actually, i can't find any info about integers with exponents either. i am (...) (23 years ago, 6-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  new EmuLegOS release 1.2.5.0

I just posted a new release of EmuLegOS, if you're interested you can grab it from (URL) of the changes were just adding support for additional sensor types. Here is the changelog. 1.2.5.0 03/02/02 Mark Falco - added include for semaphore.h so user (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: reliability of quad speed LNP

(...) Probably depends on the make-up of the data you're transferring. ROSCO (23 years ago, 28-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: reliability of quad speed LNP

So with inverting every other message byte were you able to work at 4x? Were you then also able to work at close range at 4x? It would seem easy to patch LNP to automatically do this inversion. I'll have to give this a try. thanks, mark (23 years ago, 28-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) We asked our lawyers about this many months ago, when the whole issue first came up. It's okay with them if the name "legOS" is used in a "formerly known as" context. Just like what you describe, basically - to make sure people understand that (...) (23 years ago, 27-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

"Mark Falco" <falcom@onebox.com> wrote in message news:Gs44C0.MGL@lugnet.com... (...) <<snip>> I'm not familiar with LNP but I have also experienced similar messaging problems. I have an old RCX 1.0 (S/N 22751) with serial tower and a newer RCX 2.0 (...) (23 years ago, 27-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: reliability of quad speed LNP

I have found that between a rather old PC and a RCX I cannot use quad speed transfer of data as the RCX cannot keep up. When a different (faster) PC and the same RCX I can use quad speed transfer. I guess it comes down to protocol timing. LNP does (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  reliability of quad speed LNP

Does anyone have any data on the reliability of quad speed LNP? I've been using quad speed LNP for downloading programs to my 1.0 RCX for some time, and never had a problem. Recently I'd bowored a friends 1.0 RCX so that my bot could have two RCXs. (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX as a PGP engine

(...) IIRC, the algorithm doesn't need floating point ops, only very very large primes. (...) yah - I don't think the RCX will have a good generator of random numbers. cool idea, I'd be interested to see if it works :) Dan (23 years ago, 24-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX as a PGP engine

Looked at some of the source code involved. Have a look at the "Gnu Privacy Guard" variant's source at: (URL) I was just thinking, would the RCX be able to implement a PGP or RSA (...) I don't think there is enough room for the WHOLE PGP package in (...) (23 years ago, 23-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RCX as a PGP engine

So I'm a bit behind on my reading list and I'm finally working through Steven Levy's fascinating book "Crypto" on the history and development of Public Key Incription and such. Great stuff. I was just thinking, would the RCX be able to implement a (...) (23 years ago, 23-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: problems using firmdl3 and dll on Red Hat 6.2

(...) The proper way to manage the /etc/rc.d scripts with RedHat at least is chkconfig. So the proper command (as root) after moving the link back from /unused would be: chkconfig --level 0123456 gpm off More info is at the man page for chkconfig. (...) (23 years ago, 20-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: problems using firmdl3 and dll on Red Hat 6.2

(...) That file should just be a soft link to /etc/rc/init.d/gpm (or ../init.d/gpm), so there's no need to keep it. ROSCO (23 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: problems using firmdl3 and dll on Red Hat 6.2

(...) Oh, on the console you might have gpm running, which allows copy-paste on the console with the mouse. As root, run '/etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm stop' and see if it gets better. To turn that off completely edit /etc/sysconfig/mouse and set (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: problems using firmdl3 and dll on Red Hat 6.2

It is working! In case anyone else encounters this issue... here is the solution. Per Geoff Gerrietts: (...) I just moved the file to /unused (in case I wanted it back) and reboot'd. IR communication is working perfect. Thank You Geoff! <snip> (next (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

"Joseph Woolley" <jwoolley@spamblock....ht.rr.com> wrote in message news:GrqxJG.Cwq@lugnet.com... (...) to (...) Also, when I installed RH, I had a mouse connected to the same serial port. I am wondering if the mouse driver is still loading and (...) (23 years ago, 18-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  problems using firmdl3 and dll on Red Hat 6.2

I recently cleared off my laptop HD and installed Red Hat 6.2, then downloaded and installed all the packages listed in the legOS HOWTO... but have run into a couple snags. 1st and most important, I am not able to send anything via the IR Tower. (...) (23 years ago, 18-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

I'm not sure if anyone is trying out my multiplexor patch, but thought I'd let you all know that I posted a new version which works better and solves some problems in the earlier revision. The patch is available in the legOS patch section on (...) (23 years ago, 17-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: linux USB driver.

Hi Hans, I think 2.4.9 is too old, but you may try to just remove the MODULE_LICENSE stuff. Jürgen (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) You could also try BricxOS (in a similar fashion to BricxCC), which also happens to have RCX in it. Martin (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) me, (...) written, (...) and/or (...) Well, even though it has a few Unix-ie functions, I don't really see it as a -nix. My personal favourite is NogOS (for Marcus), but BrickOS is good, too. ROSCO (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) Basically four things: 1) Getting a sourceforge account and having me designate the person a maintainer. 2) Using sourceforge CVS to maintain the canonical CVS tree for legOS; this is basically very typical CVS stuff- committing the incoming (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

Luis, What is involved with being the "maintainer" of the project under SourceForge? Ed (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) For me, BrickNix is good. But it sounds very far away from legOS. I think I like robOS more. It looks and sounds like legOS. So my list is: 1 - robOS 2 - BrickNix I don't have a number 3 favorite. Did LEGO say anything about their feelings (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

I'm rather familiar with those pages :) Really, legOS is basically Mindstorms specific. Porting it elsewhere would be basically not worthwhile. And trust me, Markus has asked about legOS. Honestly, if that article had never been written, this never (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

There are actually several other trademarks owned by The LEGO Group and some guidelines to using the LEGO trademark. They can be found in their Press Kit on their web site (URL) retract my earlier statement that we should ask for usage of the name (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) ROS is already reserved for my upcoming Router Operating System... Please, please don't choose that name (I have no TMs or anything, but it would be nice not to choose that). (...) /~\ Eddie C. Dost ASCII ribbon campaign \ / ecd@skynet.be (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) How about RobOS? /~\ Eddie C. Dost ASCII ribbon campaign \ / ecd@skynet.be against HTML mail X / \ (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: linux USB driver.

Itried to install the linux usb drive on mu computer with redhat 7.2 and 2.4.9-21 kernel. It did not work, this is the error message returned. What's wrong? /Hans Karlsson [root@nisse usb_lego]# make cc -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) Just remember that Mindstorms and RCX are also trademarks. Jürgen (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

How about rOS or rcxOS? I think it should support USB in next relase. Zhengrong (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

Or what about brOS for Brick OS? Mike (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) How about msOS (for MindstormsOS)? Oh, wait, we'd probably have Bill on our tails with that one... ROSCO (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

It is a shame that the name legOS can not be kept. I think it describes the software perfectly. And if it can't be used in the future (which I suggest some begging and pleading here) I would have a name that has OS in it to best describe it. For (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  maths libraries and LPS

I am new to this newsgroup, so I hope I am not repeating information - I cannot find the solution to this from a search. I am porting a small maths library to the Lego brick at the moment (cos, sin, tan, sinh, cosh, tanh, acos, asin, atan, sqrt, (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  multiplexor patch posted

I've posted the multiplexor patch under the patches secetion of the legOS project at sourceforge. (URL) you can't follow that link just go to (URL) then follow the patches link and look for the multiplexor patch. If you improve upon it post the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

"Michael Obenland" <obenland@t-online.de> wrote in message news:GrBqw5.KL4@lugnet.com... (...) A recursive acronym in the GNU style? KNEBL: KNEBL's Not Endorsed By Lego or snebl, fnebl... Should keep 'em happy :) Tim (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) Sort of. Try Sourceforge ((URL) is on the "Patches" page (just click on the "Submit New" link). Great Job!! I am looking forward to be able to use the multiplexer finally! I've successfully added the "priority interrupt" patch to legOS 0.2.5 (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) That was not the cause for my RFC. You do a wonderful job! And legOS does it as well. No real overwhelming cause for doing a new release. (...) Well, not really. I wold favour other solutions first: - if you can go on with legOS-maintainance - (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  linux USB driver.

For anyone who want's it, I have a linux USB driver for the lego IR tower. If anyone is interested, the tar ball of driver and pathces to nqc and legOS can be found at: (URL) am hoping to reconsile my driver with the version that was being worked (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

I'm happy to report that after writing the multiplexor driver at the kernel level it's working! I'll post a patch soon once I've got it cleaned up a little bit. It looks like the problem was with the legOS power/read cycle in ds_handler. Once I took (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

It appears that the time has come for 0.2.6; it has been more than 18 months now since 0.2.5. I still lurk here, but my work with Free Software has consumed my time- even when I'm not paid, I'm pretty much a slave to bugzilla.gnome.org and (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

I think it would be a very good idea to incorporate the prio-patch to legOS. But there seem to be a lot of patches and enhancements for 0.2.5. Personally, I use the remote control patch from Zhenrong Zang. And there is the TCP/IP system... Any more (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Priority Interrupt Patch and legOS-0.2.5

We are gathered here to witness the union of priointerrupt-patch.diff and legOS-0.2.5. If anyone has just cause why these two should not be wed may they speak now or forever hold their peace. Robert Templeton (23 years ago, 8-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

Still no luck in getting the mux working properly. I tried making use of the code for turning sensors on and off but later realized that the ds_handler code would still be turning the sensor off as part of its normal operation. I think I'm going to (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Real time operating system resources

Now that my interest has been piqued by the multiplexer problem (and sensing problem in general), what would some of you hardened embedded/real-time system veterans recommend for reading on the subject. Two books that I've found at Amazon.com are (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) I'm just checking this thing out. You can look at: (URL) more information. Unfortunately, I got the .ps description file but not the source code patch file. A mail asking for it is on it's way ;) Mike (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) Actually, something like this has been documented and done by Pedersen, Christensen, Rasmussen ("Prioritized Interrupts in LegOS"). They actually document the problem of sensor misses related to task management, significantly reducing the (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) Most people's legOS kernels will be compiled so msleep uses wait_event. I haven't looked at the code, but my understanding of how wait_event works is that whenever that thread becomes eligible to execute, your even function is called. (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

Try the following code fragments. [Change to fixed spacing font so that it reads easily.] You should be able to find what you need. "Mark Falco" <> wrote in message news:Gr1MBL.Dop@lugnet.com... (...) <<..snip..>> (...) These are code fragment for (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

Ok, my last port didn't make much sense let me try that again. for an active sensor ds_handler will periodically power the sensor off to read the value. The standard firmware does this to but at a different interval. I'm wondering if this is part of (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

Since I'm now fairly sure that i've got the timing taken care of I'm wondering if the power cycling that ds_handler does is somehow causing the problem? I thought I might take control of this stuff in my test code. I assume if I set the sensor for (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) It looks like the semaphore task_sm should prevent another task from being scheduled if I hold it for the length of the train. I've now tried this as well as incresing the timeslice to 100ms. It looks better but still is not consistent. Since (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) Not bad. But as you say, still vulnerable to the task switching problem. (...) Instead of resorting to that, maybe there is a way to freeze task switching during critical operations. When I owned and programmed the AmigaOS (don't laugh :), (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

#include <sys/time.h> void systime_set_timeslice (unsigned char slice); include/sys/time.h:43-45: #ifdef CONF_TM #define TM_DEFAULT_SLICE 20 file://!< default multitasking timeslice #endif hope that helps, Albert "Michael J Ash" (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) I agree about the cause for the msleep granularity, I'd seen the same stuff in tm and assumed that would cause the problem. Sorry my last note was a little unclear, I tried msleep and delay but am now using my own function which seems to (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) I don't know about this 20ms granularity and how delay() is going to be any better. Here's the code for each function: //! delay execution allowing other tasks to run. /*! \param msec sleep duration in milliseconds \return number of (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) Thanks, I'd suspected that msleep might not be very accurate but never considered that it's true granularity could be so large. I did a quick test with my current configuration and when I asked msleep to sleep for 12ms it slept for 20. This (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: true tcp/ip on the RCX

(...) The C64 server survived the "Slashdot attack" without problems, even though it served tenths of thousands of pages over a period of only a few hours. Since it is configured to allow only 10 simultaneous connections, it could more or less serve (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) Don't ask me for a cite, but I seem to remember something about msleep only having 20ms granularity. If that's the case, your msleep(10) is either not sleeping at all or is sleeping 20ms, either one of which could cause problems. I'd suggest (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

well anyone who looked at the code I attached may have notcied that I had one of the msleeps commented out. Oops, with this now uncommented I at least see the second and third light sensors pulse on, but only for an extremely short time. Suring the (...) (23 years ago, 3-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  multiplexor and legOS

Does anyone have expierence using the active multiplexor sold by www.mindsensors.com with legOS? If you are not farmiluar with this multiplexor it is really cool as it lets you multiplex three active sensors on one port. You tell the mux which "sub" (...) (23 years ago, 2-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: "Local Positioning System" for lego-vehicles with mice

Hi, if you are interested : sources now available (URL) (23 years ago, 2-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  LNP + USB under windows

Hi, has anybody experience in communicating with the RCX over USB (Windows)? So far I managed to get legOS working with the USB-patch from Jin Sato; then I tried to use winLNP, but it didn't work (the light in the tower is not blinking) Now I'm (...) (23 years ago, 1-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: true tcp/ip on the RCX

Ok, the website is up at: (URL) Christ (23 years ago, 2-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: true tcp/ip on the RCX

Cool stuff, congrats on the Slashdot recognition. Hope the "Slashdot Effect" didn't totally cripple your server. Wondering if you or Olaf could make the LegOS code available for all to see, just wondering how it was all done for educational purposes (...) (23 years ago, 1-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: true tcp/ip on the RCX

(...) [...] (...) A few days ago, Olaf sent me his legOS TCP/IP code which I have been running a few days, so I probably have the world's second TCP/IP-enabled Lego brick in my office :-) ! I was also able to squeeze in a simple web server, a few (...) (23 years ago, 1-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  "Local Positioning System" for lego-vehicles with mice

Hello NG, i try to develop something like a local position system with a optical RF mouse (or other mouse-devices). If someone want to join or help for this little project please mail me. A very first result you can see at (URL) (23 years ago, 1-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Integer-based arctangent2 function for anyone interested

After scouring the internet for several days and even utilizing Jack Crenshaw's wonderful book "Math Toolkit for Real-time Programming", I was unable to find a good, general iatan2(y,x) function. Note that this is the atan function that takes as (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Errors compiling egcs

Hi, I've just downloaded and attempted to install the binutils, egcs, and LegOs on my computer as per the instructions at (URL) only difference between these instructions and what I have done is the path to where the software is to be installed. (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: which Linux distro?

(...) Good Idea ! I had no problem using legOS when using a RedHat 7.1, Mandrake8 or a Conectiva 6.0, As far as I remember, there is a Debian package available for legOS. So... no matter which distribution you'll use, it will be far better than (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  which Linux distro?

Hi, I am thinking of moving over to Linux, partly for legOS reasons (Lnp easier to set up for a start), but partly for other reasons (free software, morality etc, ie the usual waffle.) I am considering Redhat 7.2, Suse 7.3 personal or Suse 7.3 (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact