 Robotics / RCX / Java / 93
92  |  94
Subject:
Troubleshooting LeJOS... how?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 02:26:32 GMT

First attempt ever at using leJOS.

1) Windows2000
2) System variable RCXTTY=COM1
3) NQC, ROBOLAB, RCX Code, and VB all work fine
4) New batteries in RCX, new battery in tower
5) lejos lib directory in CLASSPATH
6) lejos bin directory in front of path, then JDK1.3.0_02, then jdk1.2.2_06

Every port but COM4 gives this error:
D:\lejos>lejosfirmdl --tty=com1
Use --help for options.
Error 2: Opening com1

COM4 gives this error:
D:\lejos>lejosfirmdl --tty=com4
Use --help for options.
//D/lejos/bin/lejosfirmdl: tower not responding

(even though green light in tower is on)

When I first tried this, the RCX already had firmware in it, so I took a
battery out for several seconds and then pressed the on button to wipe it.
Same errors.  Then I thought that maybe the graphics tablet that I had in my
serial port before the tower was messing things up.  So I rebooted.  Same
errors.  Tried different tower power settings, blocking ambient light...  Still
same errors.

Also strange - the green light in the tower is permanently lit up.  Nothing I
do makes it go away.  Even right after a reboot.  Unplug it from the serial
port, the light goes out, plug it back in, the light comes right on again...
even if I am not doing anything and kill all programs.

D:\lejos>lejosfirmdl --tty=com4 --debug
Use --help for options.
mode = slow
writelen = 4
W 0000: 10 fe 10 fe
recvlen = 0
(the last 3 lines repeat over and over again)

help!