 Robotics / RCX / Java / 345
Re: Communication Speed, PC -> RCX, LEJOS!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, lugnet.lego.dacta, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:28:52 GMT

Hi Anders In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Anders Gaasedal wrote:

My problem is the communication speed from the PC to RCX, it takes about 0.5 sec before the IR tower sends the message (1 byte) to the RCX. I use the lejos software and the pcrcxcomm.jar and I use the RCXF7PORT for communication.

I could not repeat your experiment exactly because I don’t have a joy stick. So instead I wrote a pair of programs that send single byte messages between the PC and the RCX. The RCX adds 1 to the incoming byte and immediately send it back. The PC then echoes it back to the RCX. I am using the LeJos RCXF7Port, InputStream and OutputStream. I count about 4.2 round trip messages per second. The PC side code sends the first byte in response to a mouse click. The delay between the mouse click and the tower light coming on is too short to observe. The light then appears to stay on continuously. Perhaps the delay you are seeing is not in the communications, but somewhere else in your code? Good luck, Roger