 Robotics / RCX / Java / 307
  Re: Opening COM port error

(...) This probably is an issue of leaving your Port object around after you're done using it. You have a memory leak in each routine, because you call 'new RCXPort();' without ever calling 'delete port;' on the object. You should definitely call (...) (21 years ago, 28-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Opening COM port error

(...) Hi Chris, Thanks for your reply. You're reply confirmed my suspicion about leaving the port object lying around. I think I'll try your first suggestion of 'deleting' the port object at the end of each routine. I hope you dont mind me asking (...) (21 years ago, 29-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Opening COM port error

(...) Ahh, Garbage Collection. <rant soapbox="on" eyes="glazed" dinosaur="true"> In my mind the worst thing that has happened to modern compiler languages is excessive reliance on Garbage Collection. This is analogous to leaving half-empty soda cans (...) (21 years ago, 29-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Opening COM port error

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Chris Phillips wrote: Hahaha, Your passionate condemnation of GC makes entertaining reading in light of the amount of work I have to do with lejos,Java,C++, etc for my final year undergraduate project. I will certainly (...) (21 years ago, 30-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Opening COM port error

(...) Tyler, Happy to be of help! Regarding Garbage Collection, I'm not usually one to criticise without being able to suggest a better alternative. In this case, I think most GC systems could be improved by mimicking the concept of "smart pointers" (...) (21 years ago, 30-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, lugnet.off-topic.geek)