 Robotics / RCX / Java / 233
Re: Transmitting time USB vs serial
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 23:02:42 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Michael Heinrich writes:
I measured the transmitting time of an Int from PC to RCX with the
attached programs and got the following result:

1. single integer (LED at the tower is off before pressing ENTER):
USB serial
6000-9000ms 300-700ms

Michael,

I tried your programs on Windows and Linux. On Windows 98 the USB tower
takes about one second to reply (990 - 1100ms). On Linux it took about 9
seconds as you indicate. This looks like a problem with the Linux USB
driver. I will ask the authors of the driver (Juergen Stuber and David
Glance) if they have any idea what is causing the delay.

What can I do to decrease the response time in the first case with
the USB tower? Is it a problem of the driver or can I set the USB
tower to be always active? ("port.setListen( true )" doesn't help)

setListen does nothing on USB towers, as I did not think it was necessary to
keep the usb IR Tower alive. The serial tower needs the keep-alive messages
that setListen sends, as messages from the RCX to the PC don't wake up the
tower. I could make setListen keep the usb tower alive if it is necessary,
but there didn't seem to be a need for this on Windows. As you probably
know, usb tower support is new on Linux in release 2.1.0.

Lawrie Griffiths
(The author of the josx.rcxcomm package).