 Robotics / RCX / Java / 181
Re: MinuteTimer and currentTimeMillis()
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 19:17:27 GMT

"Frederick N. Brier" <fbrier@multideck.com> writes:

If currentTimeMillis() is valid to the millisecond, is it keeping the value
internally in an int or a long?

An int, 4 bytes.

I thought long(s) were not implemented.

That's right.

If it is a 32 bit int, then the max value is approx. 2 billion.  Since there
are 86400000 milliseconds in a day, that means the clock would roll over
every 24 days.  Is this the case?

I think a complete cycle will take 49.7 days, as you have to get through
the negative values, too.  But I bet nobody has yet tried it.
(Somewhat like the MSWindows sure crash a while ago :-)

If you call MinuteTimer.reset(), does
that reset the currentTimeMillis() value?

No, it resets the separate minute time of the ROM.

Is there a way to reset it?

No.  But you can just store a reference value and compute the difference,
that's about the same.

If the MinuteTimer class and the value of
currentTimeMillis() are completely independent, how do you
retrieve the two byte value of the MinuteTimer?  It only
has the reset() method.  Does it have a known memory
location that be accessed via the Memory class?

Yes, at efd2.  Seems we should add some access method.

As an aside, when the MinuteTimer class was
written, the JavaDoc was copied over from Battery.

I'm not quite sure I understand your remark
(is it that the comment is wrong and says Battery?)
but I'll have a look.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>