 Robotics / RCX / Java / 15
14  |  16
Subject:
RCX in Intro Computing Class
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:57:43 GMT

Hello,

My college computer science department is thinking of using Lego
Mindstorms as part of the introduction to computer programming class.

The book we would use to teach is written by a few of my prof's.  I
have taken an outline of the book, seperated by chapters, an attempted
to create a a collection of lab/project ideas to teach different
programming concepts using the RCX. The book is for learning Java.

Therefore, we will be using TinyVM, or, leJOS.  (For 'those who dont
know TinyVM is doing a code fork, leJOS is the new project. Same
developers, we just want to keep TinyVM tiny, but add more features,
and put those into leJOS).  However, I think that some of the concepts
or ideas may be used for teaching/learning C++ (therefore the
cross-post to .legos).

I have posted the ideas I have come up with on my web page, and I
am seeking feedback. I would very much appreciate suggestions, and
other ideas for teaching how to program with the RCX. Ideas for robots,
different exersises, and other pointers (how to make temp sensors
cheap/easily, etc).

The ideas for labs are at
   http://www.calvin.edu/~rvbijl39/lego/labs/

Some of the reasoning behind using the RCX to teach programming is
in the /lego/ directory.

Thank you for any help!

Ryan

--