 Robotics / RCX / 944
Re: XCam2 as replace for Vision Command?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:12:09 GMT

There seems to be a common misconception that all cameras are equal!

They are not. The kind of interface commonly found in webcams and the
Lego cam are USB based digital ones which are supported by the O/S
and deliver digitised images as bits maps to applications trying to process
the imagery. All the other kinds of "video" cameras* generate a "video"
signal which, allowing for international borders, is typically a raster based
analog signal which at the very least requires a frame grabber to get it
into digital format. I have not yet seen a frame grabber product which
advertises itself as a drop in replacement for USB digital video - I might be
wrong.

It is my assumption that you will not have any luck with Lego's Vision Command
software without a USB type camera.

JB

(* I understand that there are some digital devices like the Sony digital
camcorders
which don't exactly fall into this category, but they are not USB
compatible either.)

Has anyone experience in using the wireless XCam2 as a replace for Vison
Command. I was interested in Vision Command but did't buy it because the
camera is always connected to the PC via a cable. With XCam2 you could build
a robot that could almost act on its own without beeing physically connected
to the PC. I guess the cable will not be a good advantage for your robot's
motion. You can use XCam2 with batteries so you have a compact robot with no
wires connected to it.
The second point is to get the Vison Command software to use it with XCam2.
Does anyone know where to get only the software? I wonder if it can be used
with another cam at all...

Fabian