 Robotics / RCX / 711
Re: Localization and the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 02:09:38 GMT

Jerry Weinberg wrote:

We're working on a project that requires an
autonomous robot to manage the localization problem.

We started by trying just dead-reckoning.
We've tried a number of different gearing set-ups
and wheel configurations, including using a dual
differential, but all have significant drift making
the calculations off quite a bit.

One possibility would be to use a compass as a way
to check the amount of error in direction. Then we
could put in an error correction routine. Has anyone
successfully wired a compass sensor to the RCX?

Another possibility is to use landmark detection.
But the limited sensor input makes this difficult.
Anyone have experience with this?

I've played with this only a bit. With tech the way it is right now I've
come up with the following ideas.

1. The robot's playing area is painted from black to white. Where the
top left is all white and the bottom right all black with a constant
gradient from one to the other. This would allow you to know where the
bot was in relation to the play area. Direction is another matter.

2. I've been looking for a compass that returns the direction as a
resistance. Where 0 (N) is 0 or full resistance and 359 is the opposite.
I haven't found an electronic compass cheap enough for myself to play
with yet. Anyone have any ideas?

Not perfect solutions but a start.

Dean
--