 Robotics / RCX / 527
526  |  528
Subject:
controling two motors with only one output?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:08:14 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi guys,

I was thinking about multiplexing motors, and it came to
me that it should be easy to control two motors (only
one at a time though) using one output of the RCX.

Below, I describe my general idea, but I would like to
know if you tackle this problem and found better implementation
than mine (as you will see, my idea results in a rather
cumbersome implementation).

If you have, please let me know (pictures appreciated).

The basic idea is that with a double-ratchet, you can control
two different mechanism, depending on the direction of the
motor (see Baum's book for two different sort of double-
acting ratchet).

Therefore, with one output, you could turn lego switches,
so that, depending on the actual (out of 8 possible) position,
your 2 switches will be in the following positions:

  switch 1 switch 2
  ------------ -----------
  on-forward off
  off on-forward
  on-reverse off
  off on-reverse
  and so on for 4 other positions

If the main motor turn in the reverse direction, it will
activate the other mechanism, which is only a switch
(switch 3) in resting position off.

Therefore, the mechanism is to turn the main motor
forward to select the desire position for the switch 1 and 2,
and then turn switch 3 on by reversing the main motor.

The basic idea is rather straighforward (once ratchet are
understood I mean), but what is difficult is to have
a precise enough device so that the axles for switches 1
and 2 are turned *exactly* by increment of 1 eighth of a turn
each time. Otherwise, after a couple of turns, the mechanism
would be in an unpredictable position (one could use a
rotation sensor, but I want to avoid using RCX ports as much
as possible).

I started building a device along these lines, but the
complexity and the size of it are staggering, so I was
wondering if any of you had made such a thing with a simpler
design.  I will post in a near future my own results for
those of you who need a picture (as it is my case).

Denis.
--

Denis Cousineau, Postdoc           *****************************
Cognitive psychology               *                           *

Office: (812) 856-5217             Fax:    (812) 855-1086
E-mail: decousin@indiana.edu       http://Prelude.PSY.UMontreal.CA/~cousined