 Robotics / RCX / 524
Re: VB 6 subprocedure stumper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:42:20 GMT

Hi Kathy,

No, Sub 0 shouldn't interfere with Task 0. If you want, you could e-mail me
the code and I'll take a look at it.

David Leeper

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Kathy Brooks writes:
David:
Thanks for the tips - I really appreciate any pointers/help I can get.

Actually, if I abandon the idea of subprocedures and move the code within my
main task, it runs just fine. However, the whole idea of this "lesson" is to
use subprocedures and multiple tasks (I haven't even tackled the multiple
tasks yet).

CHECK_LEFT and CHECK_RIGHT are set to 0 and 1 - so it's just subprocedure 0
and subprocedure 1.  Any chance a subprocedure numbered 0 could interfere with
task 0?

Could you answer:  how come, in the code below, if I comment out the line from
main that says: .GoSub CHECK_RIGHT
the CHECK_RIGHT procedure still works (and of course the CHECK_LEFT still does
not)?

Also, I've downloaded the Softbricks zip file from your site; I'll give it a
try.

THANKS - Kathy B.

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, David Leeper writes:
Hi Kathy,

My first question would be "What are the values of CHECK_LEFT and
CHECK_RIGHT?" If they're the same, that would produce the behavior you're
getting. I know I often make a mistake like that when I copy and paste a line
of code.

You also may want to try getting the code to work without using RCX
subroutines first. Once that's working, you could move the appropriate code
back to the RCX subs.

And finally, if you're just interested in getting the bot to work, I've got a
DLL that has that functionality already, plus some other neat stuff as well.
You can find the download page for it, as well as links to on-line docs, • here:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Column/2507/Download.htm

David Leeper (hopes this helps)

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Kathy Brooks writes:
I sure could use some help.  I'm trying to recreate the BugBot program from
the book "Definitive Guide to Lego Mindstorms" in VB 6. It's a simple • program
with a tank-like robot that has two "feelers" - one if the robot hits
something on the right; one for the left. At this point I've simplified the
program and there is a main task with an infinite loop - which constantly
calls two subprocedures - one each to check the left sensor and the right
sensor.  The stumper is:  whichever subprocedure is last is the one that
works.  If the check_left procedure is last in the code then just it works; • if
the check_right procedure is the last one then just it works.  Strange and
frustrating.  Having the subprocedures above or below the "main" task makes • no
difference.  In fact, the really odd thing is that if I comment out the code
in "main" which calls the last subprocedure, that subprocedure still works!

Omitting the normal code for exiting, downloading, etc., here's the heart of
the program:

Private Sub DownPrgm_Click()
With PBrickCtrl
   .SelectPrgm 0
   .SetSensorType SENSOR_1, SWITCH_TYPE
   .SetSensorType SENSOR_3, SWITCH_TYPE

   .BeginOfSub CHECK_LEFT
       .If SENVAL, SENSOR_1, EQ, CON, 0 ' button is out
           .Off MOTOR_0
          .SetRwd MOTOR_2
          .While SENVAL, SENSOR_1, EQ, CON, 0  'button is still out
           'just sorta spin & do nothing - motor_2 still in reverse
          .EndWhile
          .On MOTOR_0
          .SetFwd MOTOR_2
       .EndIf
   .EndOfSub

   .BeginOfSub CHECK_RIGHT
       .If SENVAL, SENSOR_3, EQ, CON, 0 ' button is out
          .Off MOTOR_2
          .SetRwd MOTOR_0
          .While SENVAL, SENSOR_3, EQ, CON, 0  'button is still out
           'just sorta spin & do nothing - motor_0 still in reverse
          .EndWhile
          .On MOTOR_2
          .SetFwd MOTOR_0
       .EndIf
   .EndOfSub

   .BeginOfTask MAIN
       intCounter = 0
       .SetPower MOTOR_0 + MOTOR_2, CON, 3
       .SetFwd MOTOR_0 + MOTOR_2
       .On MOTOR_0 + MOTOR_2
       .Loop CON, forever          'keep looping forever
          .GoSub CHECK_LEFT
          .GoSub CHECK_RIGHT
       .EndLoop
   .EndOfTask  'main
End With
End Sub
Any suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated!
--Kathy Brooks