 Robotics / RCX / 512
511  |  513
Subject:
Fast Firmware Downloads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 18:37:36 GMT

Hi all,

I've been working on a cross-platform version of my Tcl scripts
for interfacing with the RCX and found out a lot about high-speed
downloads too. Here's what I observed....

1. High speed downloads at 4800,n,8,1 with echos off is LESS reliable
   in a dark area than under bright incandescent or sunlight!

2. As you reduce the packet size, the transmission is more reliable

3. Under linux, make sure that the serial port (say /dev/sttyS0) is NOT
   configured as a terminal server!!! You'll find the ttys used in the
   /etc/inittab file.

Point 3 cost me four hours of frustration!!!!!

I'm close to getting the Mac serial stuff working...watch this space
for details!

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>