 Robotics / RCX / 404
Review: Quite C
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 08:12:06 GMT

Hi all!

Since I gave a try to Quite C, and since there may be more people interested, I
decided to write my opinion about it.

Basically, the package includes the H8 compiler tools, a small set of libraries
for accessing the ROM routines, some other general purpose libraries (mint and
float) and some examples.

This is nothing like legOS, but just the tools needed to write programs
directly to the hardware and the ROM. No multitasking, no lnp, no drivers, no
other fancy things. But it may be useful anyway, if that stuff is not needed.

Comparing with NQC, it is interesting to note that since NQC programs are
almost correct C programs, they can be very easily ported. Unless, of course,
they use functionality provided by the firmware, not the ROM. This includes:
- multitasking
- direct commands
- the datalog
- message sending (I am not very sure about this)

This functionality has to be implemented by each application that needs it, but
then we go back to writing an OS, and legOS already is here!

This brings a small question, because I haven't been following the threads
about compiling legOS for Windows (due to lack of time): the impression I got
is that a large part (if not all) the problems with that are related to the
building process, not the actual compilation. Is that true?

regards,
/Vlad