 Robotics / RCX / 2949
2948  |  2950
Subject:
RCX infrared broken -- what now?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 03:54:39 GMT

I recently dug my old MindStorms sets out of storage after about five years of
inactivity.  Naturally the RCXes (I have three) all needed to have their
firmware re-installed.  I was able to successfully refresh two of the bricks but
not the third.  I tried all three IR towers at both long and short range, and
the problem brick did not respond a single time.

So I can only assume the infrared sensor was damaged somehow.  Everything else
seems to work; I can run all the boot programs and I can power the brick via
both batteries and external power adapters, but I can't upload anything to it or
query it for information.

What would be my best course of action?  Would Lego be able to fix it, or would
I be better off contacting an electronics hobbyist and asking them to take a
look at the transceiver?