 Robotics / RCX / 29
  Help with 9738 LEGO Mindstorms Remote Control

Hi, Purchased the 9738 LEGO Mindstorms remote control and it doesn't seem to do anything. Has anyone else used one of these? It's my expectation that the remote allows the RCX to be controlled directly with out the program interface. Is that not (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Help with 9738 LEGO Mindstorms Remote Control

I just got one myself and it seems to work fine. The A, B, and C buttons turn on the motors (in either direction) as long as they are held. You can even hold multiple buttons down to turn more than one motor at the same time. The Message buttons (1, (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Help with 9738 LEGO Mindstorms Remote Control

Dave's reply is right on the mark, but I also want to point out that if you have downloaded a non-MindStorms O.S. to the RCX (i.e. any firmware other than the standard LEGO MindStorms firmware) the remote might not work either. I haven't tried any (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Help with 9738 LEGO Mindstorms Remote Control

(...) Robolab uses the same firmware as Mindstorms RIS, so the remote should work fine. Same goes for NQC. (...) You can write programs in NQC (also in RCX Code or Robolab) that respond to IR Messages. These messages can be sent from another RCX, (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Help with 9738 LEGO Mindstorms Remote Control

Thanks Dave. I hadn't downloaded the firmware yet.  Originally, I was simply hoping to use the remote control and the rcx to drive my trains.  So I didn't bother to install the software. Now I know. Again, Thank you. Ben In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Dave (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)