 Robotics / RCX / 2886
  I played with fire...

I applied 9V AC power to a RCX 2.0... yes yes, DC is required. Does anybody successfully repaired such a disaster ? Here are pictures pointing to what I think burned out. What is that component ? Anybody successfully replaced it ? (URL) have (...) (17 years ago, 24-Aug-07, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: I played with fire...

Hi Patrick, (...) that looks like a somewhat large diode to me. In my own picture it is round and is marked with a diode symbol and "A2". (...) It shouldn't he hard to replace. But I doubt that it is the only thing that is damaged. It looks like it (...) (17 years ago, 26-Aug-07, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  RE: I played with fire...

(...) While your RCX is fried, it is probably not from plugging AC power into the power plug. LEGO's low voltage adaptor is an AC adaptor. Or did you mean you applied AC power to the RCX sensor port? (17 years ago, 26-Aug-07, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: I played with fire...

(...) I applied 9V AC power to the internal + - battery connectors. (17 years ago, 26-Aug-07, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  RE: I played with fire...

(...) My mistake. The RCX 1.0 has an AC adaptor jack which has a full-wave bridge rectifier to convert to DC and would provide AC protection. I guess RCX 2.0, without the external jack, does not have this. (17 years ago, 26-Aug-07, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: I played with fire...

(...) Has anyone ever succesfully tried to include an adaptor jack in an RCX 2.0? Are there any pics or schematics? linmix (17 years ago, 26-Aug-07, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: I played with fire...

(...) Hello Patrick, Your RCX2 version is completely new to me - That't very interesting... more on that later (btw, would you have a photo of the other side of the board?). The component you show as burnt is most probably a power diode, as (...) (17 years ago, 27-Aug-07, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: I played with fire...

(...) Here is the backside : (URL) (17 years ago, 28-Aug-07, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: I played with fire...

Well, Philo did it again, Hourrah for him... I bypassed the fuse and the RCX came back to life. Now, will I be carefull enough with my RCX without a fuse or should I replace it ? (17 years ago, 2-Sep-07, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)