 Robotics / RCX / 273
272  |  274
Subject:
IR tower info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:47:20 GMT

Hi all,
As part of our current lego project we are trying to make a PC another node on
a legOS network so that we can control robots from a PC. (the end goal I have
in mind is a similarish interface to the RCXCC but that is a long way down the
track).

Anyhow I thought I would update people on the progress.
We are using java with the java.comm package. This allows java to do serial
communications. Not sure why my partner choose java to write this thing in (the
comms stuff for java only runs under Solaris and Windows at the moment although
a guy has written an interface for linux for it but we have not tested it).
Anyhow as some of you may know by now we could only get legOS compiling under
linux (not solaris) and it looks like our java stuff will only work on Solaris
(not linux) so its a bit tricky at the moment.

Anyhow we have some very very basic code which can talk between two IR towers
in java. At the moment it is two programs (a send and a receive). Interesting
points that have come out of it are the keep alive time for the IR tower.

As has been mentioned before the IR tower will only receive when the little
green light is on. If you don't want to modify hardware (which we don't
especially) then you can keep the tower alive by sending a byte every 4.6
seconds (found through experimentation).

I will post the java code for those of you who are interested maybe towards the
end of the weekend. Hopefully by then I will have a class which allows a
lnp_adressing_write to an RCX.

bye
michael