 Robotics / RCX / 2625
Re: rcx brick fail to download
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:48:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Elizabeth Mabrey wrote:

There are two unknown symbols on the RCX...

   The upside down arrow in the lower left sounds like the view indicator for
output A - but turning the RCX off and on should clear that. The dark circle
(I'm guessing in the upper right) sounds like the Datalog indicator (when all
four quadrants are black, the datalog is full).

It could also be the first piece of the communications in progress icon thing.

RCX 2.0 brick fails to download the firmware.  I tried
different batteries, the same symptom.

   Have you tried completely removing the batteries for a few minutes (until the
current firmware, which it sounds like is corrupted, it wiped), and then putting
in new batteries and trying to reload the firmware again? I've had to do this a
few times when the firmware has become corrupted.

Yeah, remove the batteries and then press the red power button. This will
discharge the caps. Then put the batteries back in.

I have had odd problems loading the firmware, although I don't know why it
should be different than other programs.

I don't use the high speed mode.

I switch the RCX 1.0 tower to short range.

Then I stick a cardboard box over the RCX and tower.

I run NQC in a two line DOS batch file to switch the RCX to low power TX if
it'll do it.

and then it runs NQC to download the firmware.

This has always worked even with RCXs that seem oddly reluctant to download
under more normal circumstances.

You can reset the range and power settings after its all done.

Hope this helps.

JB