 Robotics / RCX / 2511
Re: laser distance sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 00:05:24 GMT

On Aug 4, 2004, at 8:20 am, Andreas Jurk wrote:

Hi

I'd like to build a laser distance sensor for my mindstorms robot.
Does anyone know if any plans of circuits of such sensors exists?

Who said you had to actually use laser? :)  Google for "electronic tape
measure" to see what I'm talking about (they really use sonar, with a
laser pointer to show where the device is reading from).  Home Depot
has one for $29.

Now, the biggest challenge of course would be engineering the device so
it'd work with the RCX, something that'd be miles beyond my abilities
(any takers to try??).  And as John pointed out there's the issue of
making sense of the readings in the RCX code.

It'd be a fun project to try anyway. :)

Greg Betzel