 Robotics / RCX / 2445
RE: RCX for Kids: RIS upgrade? Robolab? Other?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 01:23:05 GMT

Hi,

That's odd.   I upgraded mine from 1.0 straight to 2.0, and I only paid for
the shipping.  I did not order online, but on the phone.

As far as choosing between Robolab and the RIS software,  it depends upon
the age and motivation of the child. Although both RIS and Robolab are
gui-based, RIS is easier to understand and less intimidating for a
person/child who has never come across the programming concept.  However, if
the child is a motivated and a good self-learner, Robolab is a better
choice.   Otherwise, starting with the RIS software may be more appropriate.

Fyi: If there is any bug, you can report to the Tuft U.,
http://www.ceeo.tufts.edu/robolabatceeo/.     And you may even download free
patches from them.  But not the RIS software.

2cents!
--
Elizabeth Mabrey