 Robotics / RCX / 2166
RE: USB vs Serial Tower Response Time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:26:08 GMT

Several recent posts have mentioned significantly slower performance
of the USB Tower when compared to the serial Tower. After several
measurements, I've concluded that the USB Tower is "natively" only
slightly slower (~20 milliseconds per message) than the Serial Tower.
However, many PC applications appear to add significant extra delay
(~200 msec) for the USB tower.

<snipped long post>

Dick,

This is a remarkably detailed analysis of the difference between the
USB and serial towers. It also contains many useful hints about the
preamble bytes and other esoteric things about the LEGO protocol.

I have an dea how much time it must have taken you to do the experiments
and then write them up so well.

Thanks for doing the work and posting it here on LUGNET!

Ralph Hempel

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com