 Robotics / RCX / 2114
R: SPIRIT.OCX and embedded visual tools for winCE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 07:07:08 GMT

I have developed a framework of classes in C++ that encapsulates the
the RCX and its communication either from serial and from usb port.
The framework is based on a proprietary library of fundation classes by SYCO
called G++ that can be freely accessed from the web.
The Lego framework has never been ported on winCE, but the fundation library
yes. So I don't see any problem to recompile the Lego software under winCE
environment.
If you are interested in more details of the Lego framework and on the SYCO
G++ library see in this discussion group my other mails in the thread
Transmitting a message from the RCX to the PC.
Giuseppe Menga

-----Messaggio Originale-----
Da: "CarlosLuis Rendón M." <crendon@ieee.org>
A: <lugnet.robotics.rcx@lugnet.com>
Data invio: giovedì 5 giugno 2003 16.41
Oggetto: SPIRIT.OCX and embedded visual tools for winCE

Hi there. I'm conscious that SPIRIT.OCX is quite old and that now there're
another ways to control the RCX from any object oriented language on the
computer side. I've tried those new methods and are quite good. In my
opinion there's a big big point for SPIRIT.OCX, it's simplicity.

    Well, the thing is that I'd like to control (have the logic of the
program) the RCX from my pocketPC (PPC)(I know that there's a NQC/BrickCC
version for winCE, but the main purpose of them is to develop the program
there compile and then download it to the RCX). So the idea is to have the
PPC have the main flow of the program as well as to read (poll) the sensor
readings. Advantages? Well, first a lot (much more) computing power. • Second,
the PPC has a compactFlash type II bay, so I can plug there an ieee • 802.11b
(wireless LAN card), and expand quite more the range of control/operation • of
the RCX. It would be possible even to have the vision command camara • plugged
to the usb port of the PPC and use it to control the bot.

    So, what I'd like to find out is if someone has already used • SPIRIT.OCX
on the winCE plattform (using embedded Visual Basic, for example), I'd • like
to hear pros and cons. Many thanks for your comments guys.

Best Regards,
CarlosLuis