 Robotics / RCX / 2040
Re: remote control and rcx
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 20:47:47 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Lars Gjerløw Jørgensen writes:
nanobapt's utterance expressed in news:3EBAD33D.3090200@wanadoo.fr:

Does you use RC with 2 RCX powered on ?

nope - only one at a time - but that shouldn't have
any influence since the rc is one-way-only. The pc
is another thing - here it is very important that
only one rcx is turned on at a time (I believe!)

Leg godt!

The RCX will not respond to the remote until you succeed in downloading the
firmware.  The built-in romware does not listen to the remote.  The remote
can be used with many RCXes at once, since it is a one-way protocol with no
response messages.

When downloading firmware or programs, you definitely only want to have one
RCX turned on at a time, since they do respond to the PC and will interfere
with each other's communications.  Having more than one RCX turned on will
always (in my experience) cause the download to fail.

I also had an evening not too long ago where none of my RCXes would take a
firmware download.  I tried a couple different computers, different towers,
fresh batteries, different room lighting, and nothing worked.  The next time
I tried to do it (a couple weeks later) everything worked just fine.

I never did figure out why this happened, but I've heard others tell a
similar tale here in the past.  I guess if you can't get a download to work
after dozens of attempts, shut it down for a few hours/days and try again later.

- Chris.

p.s.  Check out my FREE MindStorms remote control emulator for Windows at
http://www.drvegetable.com/download.html