 Robotics / RCX / 1968
    Re: no long range IR from laptop says Lego —Juergen Stuber
   (...) Its USB descriptors say there are two configurations with 100mA (I think these are for low and medium power), and two that require 500mA (high power mode). The LEGO USB Tower Interface Reference doesn't go into more details. Jürgen (22 years ago, 12-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: no long range IR from laptop says Lego —Pat LaVarre
   (...) Fascinating stuff, thanks again. In particular, I didn't know Anyone had persuaded Windows to respond intelligently to Usb Configuration's of variable power. Anybody know if these descriptors already appear on the web somewhere? Else please (...) (22 years ago, 13-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: no long range IR from laptop says Lego —Juergen Stuber
   (...) No idea. I think these values are used for accounting, to ensure that all devices together don't exceed available power. But I don't know how well this is implemented. (...) Linux makes them available in readable form in /proc/bus/usb/devices (...) (22 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)