 Robotics / RCX / 1938
Re: IR header how optional -- And Infrared "Warm Up"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 04:52:24 GMT

Regarding "Henrik Erlandsson" <e.henrik@telia.com> wrote in message
news:H9orqL.M9v@lugnet.com.. and others about "warming up" the serial
infra-red link electronics.

I wonder what purpose does the x 55:FF:00 header ever serve.  I see • the web
speaks of warming up IR electronics.  I wonder if that's all this • does, and if
we're warming up sender electronics or receiver electronics or • both.
<<snip>>

I believe the "warm up" concept originated in some ancient posts
regarding the AGC (auto gain control circuitry) on the IR electronics.
As I recall someone deduced that successful operation of the AGC
required the same duration of "on" and "off" transmission -- which
would result if the count of one bits and zero bits were the same.

So the "warm up" period relates to time for the AGC to restabilize
after a long period of inactivity. My practical experience is that the
first few bytes of message reception after such a time period are not
robust.

If you notice, the  x 55:FF:00 header conveniently has the same count
of ones and zeros. The standard sequence of using message byte
followed by complement byte also results in equal count of ones and
zero bits.