 Robotics / RCX / 1889
    IR Proximity Detection Problem —Dirk Schlei
   I have tried to get proximity dectection via RCX emitting IR (SendMessage/NQC) and Light Sensor (mounted on top of the RCX's IR unit). But the raw values seemed to be the same with/without emitting IR. Average value was 725. Went up to 800 (black (...) (22 years ago, 16-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: IR Proximity Detection Problem —Philippe Hurbain
     Maybe the ambient light is too high ? in that case you can decrease visible light sensitivity as well as shielding detector from red LED light using this method : (URL) (only hope that this doesn't offend your "Lego purity" sense ;o) Philo (...) (22 years ago, 16-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: IR Proximity Detection Problem —Dean Hystad
     (...) Dirk, I had a similar problem when I first tried, eventually determining that I wasn't measuring the light sensor value while the message was being sent. You have to wait a little bit after sending the message before reading the peak light (...) (22 years ago, 16-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: IR Proximity Detection Problem —Dirk Schlei
     Dean, Philo, Thank you both very much: Including the sensor monitoring in a "repeat"-loop brouhgt the solution. Works quite perfect. I guess "SendMessage" is somewhat slow, i. e. the IR-emission/reflection. Now I am going to even improve the (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: IR Proximity Detection Problem —Jona Jeffords
   (...) A friend of mine attempted this setup a while back and came to the conclusion that he basically needed to be nearly perfectly perpendicular to the object he was trying to detect. So he decided this was way to precise/finicky for his general (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)