 Robotics / RCX / 1863
1862  |  1864
Subject:
LEGO MindStorms 2.0: Alternative transmission techniques 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 17:33:31 GMT

   Hi, I know that the original post (read below) is kind of old, but the
hole project seems quite interesting. I also read the reply that Mario
posted. I agree with him in all the points. I'll assume that you want to
develop a vehicle, not a robot with legs (just the implementation over the
vehicle is enough complicated, trying to implement it over a two legs based
robot would be practically impossible using just one life)

But I do think you can implement this project by stages. This supposes that
you don't have to implement all the milestones of your project at the same.
As Mario pointed, there're several complications, such as navigation
control, wireless implementation of the communication, etc.

    Well, if you prioritize your project, you should came to something like
this.

    1. The first thing you should solve is the navigation algorithm/control.
    2. Intelligent self-caring sense of the robot
    2. wireless extension of the robot
    4. other improvements, such as intelligent decision making etc.

   In order to start with point one, you must have some temporary solution
to point 3. This means you should use some wired implementation, such as an
I2C (inter integrated circuit) controller network, that can spread (and
receive the responses of the RCX)   the IR protocol over an extensive area
(in order to test the robot).

    Then, using rotation sensors in order to count (in a more accurate way)
steps from the motors, due to the fact that their power varies according to
batteries; you could implement the navigation control. I've seen on the net
radar sensors (I don't remember where, but you can search over the
newsgroup) so that could help to avoid obstacles.

    Once the robot can navigate acceptably, you can focus on the wireless
solution, maybe using some RF controller (such as an RF PICMicro MCU (I
don't know if they have been launched yet, but if not, soon they'll be) or
another controller family)

    Once the wireless solution is working fine, then you work on another
level of abstraction (such as a fuzzy logic decision making method) in order
to make the robot "think" over the environment that surrounds it.

    Well these are my thoughts.

CL.