 Robotics / RCX / 1859
Re: LNPD problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 00:05:29 GMT

Hi Pieter,

I'll take a shot at it...  It's possible you may be experiencing a
transmission problem on the RCX side.  That's not to say that
your RCX can't transmit IR data correctly... obviously it
can since you are able to download BrickOS and that requires
that the RCX acknowledge the data received.

The thing to consider here is that BrickOS (unlike the standard
Mindstorms firmware) monitors its own transmissions in order
to detect packet collisions.  While it's transmitting bytes, BrickOS
checks to see that every outgoing byte has a matching incoming
byte.  If there is a difference in the bytes (or a timeout occurs)
then BrickOS assumes a collision occurred and immediately
stops transmitting the current packet.  This could be your problem.

One way to check if this is occurring is to use the ScriptEd tool
that comes with the Mindstorms SDK. Select the "Monitor IR"
item in the "Special" menu.  This should show you exactly which
bytes are being sent by the RCX.  Check that these bytes are
indeed a valid LNP integrity packet.  (Post the bytes here
on Lugnet if you are unsure).

If there is a problem with the packet, then it could be something
in your physical environment that is garbling the IR data the RCX
sees while transmitting.  Try rearranging the positions of the tower
and RCX or covering the whole setup with a box.  Also, you might
try using short range IR and see if that improves echo reception.

Anyways, I hope this helps or at least gets you thinking of different
alternatives...

Mark