 Robotics / RCX / 1855
Re: Robolab - lejOS communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 13:37:16 GMT

Robolab works with the standard lego firmware. As far
as we know there are some classes in lejOS 2.0 like F7Handler and
F7DeliveryHandler to keep compatibility with the original firmware but we
are not sure what will be the best method to implement this kind of
communication. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Mario,

Lejos supports communication using the original firmware opcodes via the
Serial class, but, apart from program download, this is designed for
executing opcodes, not downloading data. F7Handler and F7DeliveryHandler are
part of and implementation of Java Streams (RCXF7Port) using the F7 (set
message) opcode. You could probably implement this in Robolab, but I don't
know how hard it would be - I am not familiar with RoboLab.

The next version of lejos will have a Vision API, which might be of interest
to you. You can preview it on my Web site at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lawrie.griffiths/. This might give you the
opportunity of a solution that is entirely in Java.

Is there going to be enough memory in the RCX for your neural network
classes and the coded image?

Lawrie