 Robotics / RCX / 1805
1804  |  1806
Subject:
Cross-machine cross-compiling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 22:15:31 GMT

No matter how hard I try - or how many different "this is how to do
legOS under Win32" web sites I visit - I cannot get legOS and its
associated cross-compiler to build.  The stuff from brickOS dies during
the make process because of "missing" include files.  I've been trying
for three weeks with no success.  I've finally given up and downloaded
RPM's of the pre-built tools for Linux.  (I'm using RH 7.1)  legOS build
without a single problem.

But here's the rub.  I cannot get the USB tower (from RIS 2.0) to work
under Linux.  I've downloaded/built/installed LegoUSB, but no luck.  So
I came upon the "brilliant" (read: hack) idea of developing/compiler on
my Linux box, then copying the 'lx' file to my Win98SE box and using
leJOS's tools for the IR transfer.  Well, 'lejosfirmdl' works like a
dream - the legOS.srec transfers flawlessly.  But when I use 'lejosrun'
to download an 'lx' file, the whole thing craps out.  I figured it's
because legOS uses its own protocol for downloading programs to the RCX.

So I got another "brilliant" idea (read: still a hack) - what if I use
the pre-built legOS tools from the legOS-DJGPP pre-built binaries (in
legostools.zip).  Well, firmdl3/dll (from this version) does NOT
recognize the USB tower.

So, I can finally build legOS programs but there's no way for me to get
them onto my RCX.  Can anyone help?