 Robotics / RCX / 177
Re: Interests in non-GNU C compiler for RIS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 03:33:31 GMT

Well, what I think (hope!) Richard means is... well... to start from scratch:

The subsumption architecture is a way of thinking about programming
robots. The idea is that you program lots of very small, simple modules
that take simple inputs and issue simple outputs. The outputs would be
designed to control behavior, usually. Write one such module, and the
robot has one very simple behavior. Write another module, and add it in
such a way that under some circumstances it will "subsume"  the output of
the other module, and voila- you have more complicated behavior, while
maintaining (in theory) reasonably simple and robust code.

As it turns out, writing modules is pretty simple, but interfacing them
can get sort of messy. Furthermore, subsumption works best when all
modules work at the same time (true multitasking.) This gets even more
messy. So people have written systems where you use a standardized set of
descriptions to create modules and describe the connections between them,
and then the "system" takes care of multi-tasking the modules and
transferring data between them. I assume it is such a system that Richard
is describing.

I hope that was understandable-
Luis