 Robotics / RCX / 1751
1750  |  1752
Subject:
lego firmware multitasking?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:57:22 GMT

Since I bought my mindstorms in 1998 I've been primarily using LegOS rather
then the standard firmware.  Now I'm helping coach a class for kids and we are
required to use the standard firmware and GUI programming.

I've been having trouble understanding how task switching works with the
standard stuff.  I get the basics, but am frequently confused by the behavior
of my rather simple programs.  Can anyone point me to a detailed explantion of
how the task switching works.

With 2.0 and the introduction of smart tasking things get even more intresting.
So addtional information there would also be helpfull.

Basically I'm looking for a technical description of how Lego's environment
works.  The help files that come with the software give a good high level
overview, but still seem lacking.

Here are some of my questions:

1. how many threads does the standard stuff utilize.
2. will multiple sensor watchers execute at the same time
3. are the sensor watchers level or edge triggered, that is do they watch for
the transition between states or just for a particular state.
4.  is the main thread blocked when the watcher threads are executing.

thanks,

mark