 Robotics / RCX / 1638
Re: RIS 2.0 or 1.5 (minimum requirements)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 20:16:06 GMT

Just came across youre discussion, and I thought this might help...

Lego is usually a bit overreacting whit the systemrequirements. I've runned
RIS 1.5 on an 486 whit 20 MB ram and 1 MB video,and the sysreq's from lego
said it required an P166(minimum). I've also runned Vision command on a
p2-266 whit 2 MB video, and lego said it would need al least 4 MB(or 8MB,not
sure about this). They both worked fine, the RIS 1.5 sometimes a bit slow,
but it worked okay.

Anyway, you're CPU and ram won't be a problem, and i don't think the
videoram would.

Just another weird thought of me: The sdk2.0 can use the USB
tower,right?(I'm not sure of this,dont have an USB-tower.)
Then why not use the drivers for the USB-tower from this SDK?, then you dont
need RIS 2.0 at all.

-bas

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Dirk Schlei writes:
Thank you for the answer, but:

Do you have any idea whether my system (366 Mhz PII notebook, 64 MB RAM, but
only 2.5 MB Video RAM - where LEGO states 4 MB as necessary) could run the
original LEGO 2.0 software?

Dirk Schlei

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Dave Baum writes:
The 2.0 firmware is available separately from LEGO as part of the 2.0
SDK.  You can use this firmware with a 1.5 set (or even a 1.0 set).  If
you are not planning on using the Lego software then the only difference
between 2.0 and 1.5 is that 2.0 has a USB tower, 1.5 has an RS-232
tower.  IMHO, the RS-232 tower is more flexible since no special drivers
are required.  On the down side, it needs a battery and the USB one
doesn't.

If you stick with the 1.5 set, you won't need to install any lego
software on your PC.

If you get 2.0 then I think you'll need to install the 2.0 software in
order to get the USB driver installed.  Perhaps there is a clever hack
to just install the USB driver, but I'm not much of a Windows expert.

If you don't mind putting a 9V battery in the IR tower and you have a
free COM port, then I'd go with 1.5.

Dave Baum