 Robotics / RCX / 1583
Re: Assembly Language Programming on the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 07:31:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Matthias Jetleb writes:
I'm interested in programming the RCX in assembly. I'm trying to get
total control over the hardware in the manner I'm most familliar with.
Everyting I've seen so far seems to use higher level languages
(Java/variants of C/etc.) Does anyone know of an IDE for assembly
language specifically for the RCX?

Matthias Jetleb

When the RCX 2.0 firmware came out, LEGO released an updated SDK
(http://www.legomindstorms.com/sdk2/) to take advantage of all the new
stuff.  One of the new features they provided was a new language called LEGO
Assembler (LASM).  This is as close to the hardware as you can get running
standard LEGO firmware, and probably what you're looking for.

If you want more control over the hardware than this, you'll have to go the
alternative firmware route and use pbFORTH, legOS, or leJOS.  See the
appropriate newsgroups (lugnet.robotics.rcx.*) for more information.

HTH,
Ian