 Robotics / RCX / 1325
Re: Creativity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:39:23 GMT

I think that my "Smart Acrobot" was pretty creative. :) I took the LEGO Acrobot
that can flip over and keep driving and added a light-proof box with a light
sensor and a handful of yellow bricks inside of it.  This way, the light sensor
either sees the bricks (bright) or the inside of the container (dark) depending
on whether it is right side up or upside down.  This way if it hits an
obstacle and flips, it can know that it is upside down and drive in the
opposite direction, instead of keeping slamming into the wall.

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Jeff Lalo writes:
Hi everyone,

Someone asked me just the other day what good was playing with the Lego RCX.
I quickly barked back that the RCX and NQC had taught me, a none programmer
(well real world vs. Lego), a great deal about the essence of programming
and the embedded systems that we take for granted everyday.  As I found
myself thinking more and more about what could be done with the RCX and NQC,
I started to wonder what other people have done that really pushed the RCX
and NQC to their creative limits.

So everyone, what have you created that exemplifies the utmost in complexity
and elegance?   For myself, I have worked on several problems revolving
around using Fuzzy control programs to make a line follower or control the
temperature of a small, 1 cubic foot, green house (I am a Biologist) using
Lego fans and vents.

JL

P.S.   I keep focusing on the RCX and NQC because its this combination,
IMHO, that allows everyone of all abilities to really start creating and
understanding.  Changing firmware and using some other language is great for
the advanced programmer.