 Robotics / RCX / 1272
1271  |  1273
Subject:
REALbasic and serial ports
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 20:20:56 GMT

Hi all,

I want to try REALbasic with the Lego RCX. I think that this could be
another programming tool for the Macintosh to do everything nearly like
Visual Basic and Windows. Therefore I need some program code to use the
serial ports in my applications.

With my old Macinintosh 9500 everything runs well ... I can open the ports,
send some bytes to the RCX and close the ports again. But now I get the
problem. Running the same code with my PowerBook G3/400 freezes everything.
I have a mini-iDock (http://www.macgear.com/20.htm) ... this is a small usb
adapter with two serial ports. With MacNQC 2.2.3 and with Robolab 2.01 there
is no problem to send bytes to the serial ir tower and the RCX.

To get an idea for what is to do I wrote a small port test tool that checks
the serial ports and tries to open and close them. (port test)

Running the test with my Macintosh 9500 everything is okay ... two ports ...
modem and printer.
With the mini-iDock running at the additional usb port card the Macinintosh
9500 now shows 4 serial ports but it can only open the original two ports.
(test1)

The PowerBook just so shows 2 serial ports but they are the IrDA and the
internal modem. These serial ports are not usable with the RCX and its
programming. (test2)
With the mini-iDock connected to the usb the PowerBook has 4 serial ports
... the IrDA, the modem, iDockGeo1 and iDockGeo2. The test tool shows all
the four but it can't open the iDock ports. (test3)

There is also a screen shot of the code behind the test button. (code)

If you have an idea that could help me please get the test tool and 4 screen
shots from my web server because the Lugnet doesn't like attachments with
the emails.

   http://www.bvsdormagen.de/lego/port_test.sit

I hope to get a lot of helpfull tips ...

Ralf