 Robotics / RCX / 1170
Re: baffled by a part in RIS 1.5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:18:38 GMT

I think it is called a "clutch" gear.  It is used in place of a regular gear
when the gear train that it is in may get locked up.  It will then slip, which
will prevent damage to the motor.

I imagine it has other uses too...

-HTH
-Andy Lynch

----- Original Message -----
From: "DAVE MEE" <davemee@genie.co.uk>
It's a thick white gear, 1 stud wide by three studs in diameter. One one
side, "LEGO" is inevitably stamped around it, and on the other, the cryptic
text "2.5 - 5.0 Ncm", twice. It has a grey bit and a hole in the middle
suitable for a rod (you know, those extruded plus signs whose length you can
never discern until you discover you've used the wrong one at the start of
your model, and everything has to come apart to finish it.). This middle
section rotates separately.