 Robotics / RCX / 1049
Re: Is an RCX Output Amplfier, possible ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 06:38:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Jason S. Mantor writes:
Dean,
   Your motor multiplexer is cool, but not really what I'm after.   What I
need is a way to have a single output drive several motors in the same
direction at the same time (IE Hook them all up in parallel.)  After reading
some of the posts here and thinking about the fact that the RCX only uses
AA's it's clear that I don't want to run 4 motors off of each of the 3
outputs.  Even if it didn't hurt the RCX, the motors wouldn't get much juice
: (  What I think I really need is a current amplifier that can switch fast
enough that I don't lose the PWM signals.  Is there such an animal ?

Maybe you're looking for a DC motor driver like L293D (used with handyboard)
from STMicroelectronics (former SGS-thomson)

http://us.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/1330.pdf
or
http://us.st.com/stonline/products/selector/58.htm for all available driver

this driver is suitable for use in switching applications up to 5 kHz.
I don't know the frequenzy of PWM, but I guess it will be less than 5 kHz,
so it might work. (Please tell me the frequency !!)
With max suply voltage = 36 V and 600mA (1.2 A peak !!) current you will
have up to about 20 W depending on supply voltage.
(If this isn't enough power, you can (AFAIK) stack them to double abilities)

Is this what you're looking for ?

Rainer