 Robotics / RCX / 1019
Re: Another way to avoid Float
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:54:30 GMT

Thank you for your answer Andy.

This is all well and good, but the all consuming problem with location
tracking is slippage. What happens if one wheel slips? What about if it hits
an obstacle at an angle? If you find some way around these problems, It'd be
really good to hear it.

In fact I built my robot (let's call him R2D1 ) for navigation, pathfinding and
auto mapping purpose. I restrict his evolution to the (flat) floor of my house.
I don't know yet if I'll be able to reach all of my aims.
So R2D1 have 6 wheels. 4 are motorized and the last 2 are free and linked to
rotation sensor. This avoid any slip. In case of collision, only the motorized
wheels slip. Like this rotation sensors keep a very nice track of R2D1 way.

Incidentally in the Java firmware which is currently in beta (LeJOS) the
full floating point Math library is available, with all the sine, cosine,
tangent etc functions you would ever need.

Beginning with legOS, I've fun exploring it so I'll not swap yet for another
OS. And even with legOS I'll try to not use float nor trig functions. Anyway
thanks for advice.
As soon as possible (but this may take few month!) l'll update my homepage
with R2D1's pictures. I'll warn you

best regards
Michael