 Robotics / RCX / 1017
1016  |  1018
Subject:
RCX analog input?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:25:19 GMT

I haven't been reading any of the LUGNET robotics groups until a month
or so ago when I bought my first Mindstorms 1.5 kit and entered into
this branch of LEGO. (so sorry if this has been posted before and I
haven't seen it in any FAQ's)

My question concerns the RCX input ports.  Before I knew anything about
mindstorms I assumed that the inputs could only be digital but it
suddenly donned on me the other day that they must have analog input
capability seeing as it can read a 0-100% value for the light sensor.

Is there any information out there (esp on the web) about the nature of
this input?  What does the port measure?  A voltage range?

I know there are some sites out there that talk about custom sensors but
are there any that go into detail about this sort of thing?

My thought trail (specifically) is along the lines of using something
like a pressure transmitter (or anything) with a 4-20 mA output signal
and having the RCX act like a PLC.  This should be easy if the RCX input
is a voltage range right (by taking the drop across a resistor)?

--
-TiM
NB, CA