 Robotics / RCX / *8155 (-100)
  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

(...) I've used some of the LabView features, though it seems like they work best when used on constants, rather than variables or containers. My impression, though, is that the non-Robolab-specific LabView features aren't what I'm looking for (...) (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

(...) fine (...) (all (...) Ya, its a real pain in the arse... Rob (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

(...) Robolab can access LASM code (Lego Assembler) which may allow you to write instructions that fit your needs. The LASM documentation is part of the Mindstorms 2.0 SDK available from (URL) not an assembler programmer so I have no idea if this (...) (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

(...) Two problems: 1. From what I've read about the problem, the speed I ran it at was right in the "sweet spot". 2. BrickOS would not qualify for the competition. I wonder if (hope?) the recent unavailability of rotation sensors at Pitsco is (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, FTX)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

Hey, Rob, that's what I was doing last night as well.. but I was installing the w2kpro as my virtual machine (VMWare). However, I ran into some system problem and I have to do this again today. If it works with the w2kpro on your toshiba satellite (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

(...) Don't run it too quickly or too slowly. (URL) Um, that's all I know, besides using BrickOS which has code to make it more accurate. You mentioned that already. Actually, now that I think about it, BrickOS might be able to run assembly language (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, FTX)

  Robolab, byte codes and assembler

Having investigated rotations sensors thoroughly, I conclude they have some serious design flaws. Most notably, some samples taken during voltage transitions can be impossible to differentiate from samples at entirely different rotational positions. (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) So, how well did it work? How did the robot do? (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) (URL) such a mechanism I built in my latest sumobot... (sorry, bad photograph) Two gear shifts are activated at the same time, one for right wheels, the other for left wheels. The gearshift is activated by a motor controlled by RCX, gearing (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) Yes, thank you - you explained it very well. The day after posting the question, I realized a differential would solve the problem... but you stated the solution far more clearly than I had thought of it. Now, of course, I'm trying to think (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

"Elizabeth Mabrey" <emabrey@storming-robots.com> wrote in message news:HoMq73.B9J@lugnet.com... (...) I (...) ceased (...) I (...) OK, I have the problem fixed. You may not like the remedy, but it worked lastnight flawlessly. Oh, and the PCMCIA USB (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) Yes, that was the problem Brian was having. And, because the LEGO motors are so efficent, they work really well as generators. So, if you hook two together, and try to turn 1 and stop the other, you will have problems. I'm not sure I explained (...) (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Weird downloading error

Just some general ideas. If you're not using the firmdl or lejosfirmdl that came with lejos, try using one of those. Some versions of some downloaders have trouble with the lejos firmware. If you haven't tried fresh batteries in your RCX, try that. (...) (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) I'm just thinking out loud here, but it seems that the problem with the two middle motors is that they are wired together. So even if the RCX is told to float the motor output, both motors will want to turn together. If one turns, it will act (...) (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) Well, I've never actually tried running six motors directly from the RCX. However, I have used three motors to drive a sumo robot. And I've also used four motors (two on each side) to drive six wheels (two on the right, two on the left, and (...) (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Weird downloading error

Hello ppl, I have this weird problem where I can't seem to download the lejos firmware completely onto the RCX. The counter on the RCX lcd counts up to 20 as the firmware is downloaded while the LCD also shows a weird 'V' sorta symbol on the far (...) (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) ...I love understatment. sigh... (...) OK, in trying to implement this I've come to an interesting impasse. Calculations suggest that for a 4 lb sumobot with reasonable tires would "benefit" from six motors, three on each side (differential (...) (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

In lugnet.trains, David Koudys wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> This weekend was exceptionally busy, but I had time to play with the layout. Took my laptop downstairs, set it up with the IR tower, and loaded up Full Throttle. Wow! Pretty nifty piece of (...) (21 years ago, 24-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)

  ERIKA 1.2 available for download...

ERIKA 1.2 available for download! This version includes: - enhanced infrared support (single and multi-byte send!) - infrared transmission bugfix - PWM support now can be installed on timers T80/T81 depending on thefeatures (notes, IR transmission) (...) (21 years ago, 24-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  RE: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) DOH! Of course. In the fire alarm business, we have a three state voltage out to the sensors. Usually the Vout is 24V and the device can respond when the voltage falls to 5 V. The devices have a power supply that is basically a big cap and a (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) From what I've read, most DCC layouts have a separate small programming track anyways. This way a loco can be safely programmed without having to remove all the other locos from the layout[1]. So, you could hook output A of the RCX to the (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) Yes, sounds like fun! And, that DZ123 I recently posted about would be ideal for the job. I think I'll have to order one or two more to test this out. One change to LDCC that would help facilitate this would be the ability to configure LDCC to (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) So if I understand this correctly, my idea of inserting some kind of optoisolator or other power driver between the RCX and the track would interfere with LDCC receiving the ACK signal. Or could the sensor 1 input still be (safely) connected (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) The basic DCC ack is defined as an increase of load on the track of at least 60ma for 6ms +/- 1ms. Normally this happens on a quiet track where all you have powered is the decoder being programmed at the time. However, if you have a bunch or (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) Cool. I think that this is the key to getting DCC into wider use. After all, there are only so many trains that will fit onto a layout unless it is truly massive. But there are a lot of potentially motorized items on a layout that could be (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

In lugnet.trains, Chris Phillips wrote: snip (...) I'm just going thru my mind (which is always a bad idea), and this would be, as stated, very easy-- My DCC chip has motor out, and 2 light wires out. Connect 'em to a electric plate and we're good (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

In lugnet.trains, Chris Phillips wrote: snip (...) snip (...) I know that I was one of those 30, Chris--sorry about not getting back to you. I d/led it but never actually used it yet :( So busy just getting a layout up and running--making buildings, (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) I have been working on a different project toward the same end-- improved train layout automation, and I have had similar questions as to whether it is worth the effort for the small number of people who might actually benefit from it. Since (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)

  RE: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) Dave, don't take ALL the fun out of driving your trains :-) How about being able to focus on just one train that you control, but automate things so the OTHER trains don't hit yours? Your description was great, except that it involves MANY (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

In lugnet.trains, Ralph Hempel wrote: <snip> (...) Now here's a thought--a truly automated layout, such as the following-- The RCX has sensors (either light or magnetic/light (as Jeff Elliot made up) to detect the trains as they pass) connected to (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Trains, DCC, and pbForth

All, As I've mentioned before, I have a version of pbForth firmware for the RCX that allows you to control trains modified with DCC controllers. The benefit of pbForth is that you can write, test, and debug your application interactively using (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Help w/install _or_ It all went so well

(...) You should uninstall cygwin and delete its directory tree if it is left behind. Then run both installers (the brickoslejos installer second) and you should be ready to go. You don't need to do a configure or make of brickOS if you use these (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

well, the IR tower is fired when I tested out with different powered hubs. I used 2.0 powered hub, the same symptom occured... the OS crashed in the identical fashion. When I used 1.0 powered hub, the tower mysterably ceased to response, then the OS (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Help w/install _or_ It all went so well

No,I didn't know they existed. What steps should I take to use the installer in an already existing install? -Wes (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

hi, all, I'm going to dig into my big cable/accessories bin to for my powered usb hub tonight. I don't have a pc-usb card though. Bob, please post if your test with the pc card work... -- thank you very much... E ===...=== (...) of (...) tower (...) (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

(...) I am having almost the same issues. I want to share my story because some of the key elements in your story match mine exactly: Computer: Toshiba Satellite/WinXP/3-USB 2.0 RCX 1.0 USB tower Software: RIS 2.0, SDK 2.5, Bricxcc (all have same (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

(...) This sounds identical to the situation described by Rob Hendrix in (URL) Anderson from LEGO suggested via email that the USB port may not be giving the tower sufficient current. Perhaps you could try a powered hub? John Hansen (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

Hi, Nathan, I truly suspect that the issue is the Toshiba hardware of this particular laptop model. I have 3 Dell desktops, 3 laptops. They all have built in usb ports, either 2.0 or 1.0. They all work fine, with the identical setup up, even with (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Help w/install _or_ It all went so well

(...) Did you consider using my all-in-one pre-built installers? (URL) work well with XP & W2K (and presumably Win2003). There are problems with earlier OS versions. I've had several people tell me that using these pre-built installers was much (...) (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Help w/install _or_ It all went so well

hmmmm.... Now I have a different problem - the next step in the process: $ make strip strip fontdesign.exe strip: fontdesign.exe: No such file or directory make: *** [strip] Error 1 Is there a missing step to create fontdesign.exe? (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Help w/install _or_ It all went so well

Thanks. This solved the initial problem which revealed a second... genlds.c has two printf() statements that have multi-line string args. I appended '\' to the end of all these and everything compiled fine. Now to test things. -Wes (...) <snipped (...) (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Help w/install _or_ It all went so well

Or ( IMO ) better yet, just macro every line between 152 and 171, that's what I did, saved the trouble of another install... Put this on each line around the assembly code: __asm__(""); Make sure you keep the indent spacing also: label: should be: (...) (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Compiling Classes

I have several large classes in external .h and .cpp files that are added to my project and compiled into the .lx. I found that when I changed the number of calls to a major procedure from 2 down to 1, the final program size went down 20%. Are these (...) (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  how to use LNP class?

Holla, I have been been doing some tests of protocols from lejOS API where I'm about to give a try with this LNP class. The reason is to enable direct host addressing on my app, avoiding the packet_guaranty_issue (as_seen_from_exemple (...) (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

Dear Dave, Thank you for your great work. My Best Regards Paolo (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

(...) I wasn't sure where to post this. I want to reply to everyone's replies, but there are quite a few and I don't want to clutter things up, so I'm replying under my original post.... You're welcome! I really appreciate all of the thank-you's - (...) (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Proximity Sensors for Legway

Hi Guys I have just updated the videos at (URL) It has balanced for several minutes on the kitchen floor in the mov00001 cofiguration.... but usually I start playing with the remote and that eventually throws it. I wasn't convinced before but I (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

Dear Dave, Thank you so much for your great contribution to the Mindstorms-community!!! Best regards, Dirk P.S.: John, all our hopes (trustfully) rely on you now! (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Motors on Sensor ports

(...) Yeah... I wonder if that's a hardware limitation... (...) Well, that defeats the purpose... and I'm almost positive that powering a sensor port with 9v is a bad idea. (...) I dunno. Is it possible (I'm still in gr12 physics) that a circuit (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Motors on Sensor ports

(...) One thing you will find, is that you can't drive the motor backwards. Well, it won't go one direction. The direction depends on the wiring. Actually, that's just if you hook it to a motor port, AND a sensor port. I don't know how bad it is, (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

A few hours after I was working with my brand new RIS kit, I knew the programming environment was too limited for my needs. Thanks God there was NQC out there, very young but already very solid, offering an entire new world of possibilities. Without (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Motors on Sensor ports

I'm just curious if there's any harm in connecting motors to active sensor ports... I know you don't get very much voltage/speed/torque, but you do get interesting readings that can be used to detect when the motor stalls. This is potentially a very (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Help w/install _or_ It all went so well

(...) [...] (...) Well it looks like the gcc-version-problem I had. The gcc >=3.x do not allow multiline strins without "\" anymore, which are still uses in brickos. So my hint is to install a gcc 2.95 and everything should work fine... Note: This (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Help w/install _or_ It all went so well

_warning_ I'm new to BrickOS, so be patient. I've just attempted to install using the instructions at (URL) went fine until step 4 command './configure; make' which looked like this: ... $ ./configure; make Welcome to the brickOS Makefile (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

Dear Dave, All I can Say is Thanks. But that says it all. JL (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: ROM image using USB tower

(...) Andrew, I grabbed a ROM image awhile back using a serial tower and an RCX 1.0. I haven't tried this on a 2.0 brick, but I think the ROMware is identical in all RCX versions. Although Kekoa's SEND.C uses the serial tower, it is not too hard to (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

(...) Dave, please allow me to add my name to the list of appreciative fans of your work, and the generous example you put forward to the LEGO/Mindstorms community. We all owe you a lot! -- Russ (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  ROM image using USB tower

Hi, I'm doing a project at University involving developing some example programs running on a Lego RCX in order to demonstrate/teach OS concepts. I'd really like to get hold of a ROM image from the RCX, but I only have a USB tower available, and (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

(...) Please allow me add my sincere thanks to Dave for all the hard work he has put in over the last few years. As far as I am concerned, RIS only really appeals to me because of the access that NQC has permitted to the RCX. Were we to have been (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

(...) Dave, Thanks so much for the work you have put into NQC. I have used this tool exclusively with BricxCC. You have changed the face of Mindstorms programming and for that I and I am sure many others are grateful. Thanks again, Dave (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

(...) I too just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for your hard efforts. Even them small changes you made for me to make it work better with my setup. I can honestly say that with our NQC the VLC's automation layouts would not have been possible. Your (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

(...) ...and it's consequences were beyond imagination. Thank you, for taking an interesting "toy" and opening up the world for the rest of us. (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

(...) Your contribution to the Mindstorms community through NQC has been fantastic. When I started with Mindstorms, that was the only language I used for a long time. Thanks and the very best regards !! KK (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

Thank you Mr.Baum. you have brought great help to the Mindstorms community. I read somewhere that you live in Lake Zurich. I also live there. i hope you continue to contribute. Once again, thanks. -Nick (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

Thanks for all your hard work over the years Dave. It's been appriciated! A rose: @-}}--- (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Dave Baum wrote: <snip> (...) Dave, Your efforts in the RCX programming language are very much appreciated! I know that my enjoyment of the RCX was very much tied into using NQC. Thank you so much for your time and (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

Thank you for your work. You are one of people that was really helpfull for the mindstorms community .... nanobapt (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

(...) Thanks a lot, Dave, for all the time and energy you have put in NQC, I am sure that John, who already carried RCXcc to new heights with BricxCC, will be able to keep this project alive - and well ! I think that TLC is in debt with you too, so (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

Dave, Thank you so much for your hard work and wonderful support of MindStorms over the years! I discovered NQC shortly after I got my first RIS set, and I attribute my discovery of LUGNET itself to my search for that cool underground RCX (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

(...) Thank you so much Dave. Just to let you know that I decided to enter the MINDSTORM world because of your NQC. In Japanese we say "Gokurosama deshita !". Best regards, Liem PH (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: I'm passing the NQC torch...

I guess it's time to say "Thank you!". You did really much. You spent tremendous effort in developing NQC and I think everybody appreciates it. We owe you a lot. Thank you once again Robert (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  I'm passing the NQC torch...

NQC version 2.5r3 has been released: (URL) is my last release of NQC. John Hansen will be maintaining NQC in the future. John has done some great work with BricxCC, and has plenty of energy and good ideas for improvements to NQC. He is primarily a (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc) !!

  Re: Simplifying Cygwin & brickOS/leJOS

(...) Suggestion, dont use Cygwin at all. Provide a pre-compiled version of: 1.GCC built for host=MingW (ligtweight toolchain for win32 systems that doesnt need bulky cygwin dlls) and target=rcx or whatever. 2.the BrickOS tools buit using MingW and (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Proximity Sensors for Legway

Hi Henrik Thanks for the pointers.... I've got it working a lot better than in the video now but have a way to go to get as good as Steve's. I'll try and get the video's updated in the next couple of days. I'm keen to hear what you and Steve make (...) (21 years ago, 10-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Proximity Sensors for Legway

(...) I have a movie of my robot balancing pretty good. Sadly I don't have a website to put it on. However, from watching your movies my tip to you would be to reduce the power to the motors (a lot!) and increase the distance from the surface to the (...) (21 years ago, 8-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Simplifying Cygwin & brickOS/leJOS

(...) I'm looking into the problems that have been reported to me regarding using the pre-built compiler tools & cygwin on Win98. (...) IC4, so far as I can tell, doesn't have a command-line compiler which makes it quite a bit more difficult to (...) (21 years ago, 8-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Cubesolver with USB Tower?

(...) Thanks Chris, for the explanation, I gave it a first try this morning, and it seems to work (at least for the replacement of spirit.ocx)!! But I have to change some more coding: for example, the program automaticaly searches for the (...) (21 years ago, 8-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Cubesolver with USB Tower?

(...) It's been awhile since I've used VB to do anything, but these instructions look like they will work. To add a bit more detail: 1. Download the Phantom OCX and install it on your system. I don't know if Phantom registers itself on your (...) (21 years ago, 7-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Cubesolver with USB Tower?

Hi, has anyone tried to make JP Brown's Cubesolver ((URL) compatible with the USB Tower? I saw on (URL) there is a replacement for spirit.ocx (used for the serial tower), called phantom, and on that website it says "...delete the Spirit.ocx control (...) (21 years ago, 7-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Simplifying Cygwin & brickOS/leJOS

(...) Dear Scott, Unfortunately it is still true that Interactive C does not support the USB-tower, but I am pretty sure this will be changed with the further releases (I recently bought a serial-tower at Shop.Lego for 16.99 Euro only!). But it (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Simplifying Cygwin & brickOS/leJOS

(...) I'm just passing the following on for everyone else to read. scott Hi Scott, I don't have posting privs to all these lugnet lists, but just want to let you know that actually IC does support encoders (rotation sensors). It's just not (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Simplifying Cygwin & brickOS/leJOS

Hi A while ago I looked at using IC for writing programs. At the time there were 2 major turnoffs. There was no support for rotation sensors and you needed to own one of the serial infrared towers. It was easy to install and it had its own firmware. (...) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Simplifying Cygwin & brickOS/leJOS

Dear John, Thank you very much for the further improvement of Brixcc! I could install the package including brickOS on a Win 98 system as well as download the related firmware, but could not compile any of the demos!? Besides that: You said: "Of (...) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: to analog as rcx is to programming plastic

(...) Chris! I had the same kit as a kid! I've been trying to remember the name of it for a little while now. Every once in a while I search on eBay hoping it might show up in an auction... No luck so far. I remember the tray was made of metal and (...) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: to analog as rcx is to programming plastic

(...) ...snip... This reminds me of a modular circuit design set that my family had when I was very young. Circuit elements were housed in square plastic boxes about 1-inch on a side. The cases were clear plastic, except for the tops, which were (...) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) Hi Travis, As you can see in my motors page ((URL) paragraph "Getting maximum mechanical power from RCX output"), two 71427 motors per RCX output provides the greatest mechanical power, and should be "RCX-fry-safe", see also "Protections" (...) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) Travis, I've had a reasonable amount of success building sumo robots, and I always try to use 2 motors per port. (some rules don't allow that) It's my understanding that the motors draw ~250 milliamp when stalled (that's when they draw the (...) (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  multiple motors

Hey ya'll I'm building my first sumo bot, and have a suber basic question. What happens when you hook two motors to the same output of the rcx. This answer should hopefully help me decide weather the bot is made with 2 or 4 drive motors. currently i (...) (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Simplifying Cygwin & brickOS/leJOS

(...) Apparently, there are problems running on Win98 (I've heard from another person who is having similar issues). I am trying to figure them out. I'll post here once I have a definitive answer. John Hansen (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: IR Sensitivity - Was: 1.5/2.0 infrared problem

(...) ... (...) ... (...) Yes. The extra channels are for non-repeating stuff. Like you said. (...) Well, I've discovered (while working on a Spybot project) that if you ask just the right question, the people at LEGO may reply to it. They are (...) (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: Simplifying Cygwin & brickOS/leJOS

(...) been thinking that somebody should do this for quite some time now. I downloaded this package and installed it on my Windows 98 machine. Unfortunately, I have been having problems getting it to build the libraries. This is probably just a case (...) (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: to analog as rcx is to programming plastic

(...) From offline: "It wouldn't be analog if you couldn't break it!". :-) Pat LaVarre (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: BricxCC & fast firmware download

(...) Slow mode with the serial tower definitely was broken in BricxCC for a really long time because nobody ever reported to me that it was broken until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I apologize for not noticing this problem on my own. Unfortunately, it (...) (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: BricxCC & fast firmware download

(...) Same for me. I'm using serial tower and 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 RCXs. Downloading from NQC works fine in both modes. Mario (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: BricxCC & fast firmware download

(...) Have you ever tried using NQC to download the firmware? If so, does it work? Using RcxCC to download your firmware means you are stuck in the serial tower world and slow firmware downloading. Have you tried both slow and fast mode firmware (...) (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

"John Hansen" <JohnBinder@aol.com> wrote in message news:Hns82p.1ItF@lugnet.com... (...) latest (...) plugged (...) firmwares (...) attempts (...) but in (...) it (...) BricxCC? (...) 2.0 (...) I have never been able to get bricxCC to properly (...) (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: IR Sensitivity - Was: 1.5/2.0 infrared problem

(...) [snippage] (...) [more snippage] (...) Glad you like the chart. Trying to find a way to present the information in a useful manner was the trick for me, too. :-) I'll have to throw up a web page or something. As to figuring it out, credit has (...) (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: IR Sensitivity - Was: 1.5/2.0 infrared problem

(...) Thanks a lot for posting this very useful information, Mark! I don't know how long I've been beating my head against the brick trying to make heads or tails out of the values I calculated for the various possible combinations of button (...) (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: IR Sensitivity - Was: 1.5/2.0 infrared problem

(...) You're welcome! (...) Well, I did try it out and it does work... somewhat. For example, when you set the channel to 5 using the technique mentioned above, only some of the remote packets reflect 5 as the channel number, while others still (...) (21 years ago, 3-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: BricxCC & fast firmware download

(...) I meant also to ask whether this is a new situation, i.e., whether BricxCC used to work but now it is broken or whether you have never had success with BricxCC. Thanks, John Hansen (21 years ago, 3-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact